Oil month Automotive HPC World Book Day Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on June 28, 2012
Warning, there's a few spoilers!

I'll admit I was a tad skeptical about the movie. Not in a bad way, but I was unsure if the series really needed a reboot. Sure the third movie sucked, but to have seen a follow-up to it would have been a good idea. However, after seeing an advance screening of this movie in IMAX 3D tonight, I Rescind all my doubts.

No, really. This movie is spectacular. Everything about it was just... Awesome. In fact, if anything, the Raimi movies don't really interest me anymore, no matter how much I loved SM2. I know that's a bold statement to make, but seriously, this film fixes everything wrong with the Raimi movies, and is definitely more than just an apology for Spider Man 3.

For one, it all starts with the tone. From the opening scene where Peter gets ready for a game of Hide and Seek, there's shades of Nolan's Batman movies in it. Throughout the movie there is an air of neo-noir, in a similar fashion to "Drive"- even the score hints to a bit of a film noir feel. It suits the film because if anything this is an origin story before a superhero movie. The dark and gritty tone still stays consistent throughout, even in the action scenes.

The story might not be totally original but it all comes down to how they handle it, and they sure handle it well. How Peter finds the clues to an unfinished experiment in Uncle Ben's flooded basement, and how he manages to piece the algorithm together with Curtis Connors. They do a good job of balancing out the origin story and the action, I dare say! And the chemistry between Gwen and Peter was very believable too. They didn't devote too much time to the love story, which is always a good thing. The contrast between Peter and Curtis is fantastic as well, and if anything is one of the better hero/villain chemistry works in recent years.

As for the action scenes? INCREDIBLE. I must say, I love how they kept them grounded and realistic,saving the epic sweep until the big finale. They scrapped the campy and over the top feel of the original movies and give us rough and brutal fights, just how we want it. Garfield handles the action well and you can tell he did a lot of his own stunts too. The fight scenes between Spider Man and Lizard were fantastic, especially the grand finale in the Oscorp tower at the end!

And the acting. I must say the acting was fantastic. Garfield KNOCKED IT OUT OF THE PARK, here. MacGuire was too much of a metrosexual pansy for me to take him seriously. Garfield is a total nerd, and as a result, he gets the role right. He even looks nerdy, and it helps as well. The way he manages to hold back his British accent is extraordinary as well, and his humourous kick he adds to the character works too. Emma Stone is fantastic as Gwen Stacy and adds real depth to the character, in an almost unexpected way. Her and Peter Parker's chemistry works on every level. Ifans is a great villain, and he manages to add an air of sympathy to the villain, making his transformation into the Lizard very tragic and poignant. And Leary... Well, what can we say? Brilliant and funny as usual, he even ad libs a few lines, and you'll know which lines those are ("do I look like the mayor of Tokyo?!").

In short, Webb, Stone, Garfield and Ifans have knocked one out of the park. An absolutely stellar effort thanks to great talent and I can assure you that I will be seeing the movie again. And I can also assure you that this is a must see, with tons of action, intrigue, humour and dark tone as well. Do not miss it!
What's this?