Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 STEM Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Book House Cleaning Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

5.0 out of 5 stars What a CrOc!?, June 16, 2008
At first I didn't know what to make of this shoe/sandal... it's lightweight, comfortable and "convertible", which is a nice feature that I've never seen in a sandal before. First, I'll break down the benefits, then give the low-points.

"LIGHTWEIGHT & COMFORTABLE"
This is probably the most attractive feature of the CROC, because it adds to the comfort and makes you feel like you're walking on air. By far the most comfortable things I've ever worn and I'm a picky shoe person. I have only owned 1 pair of sandals for the past 6 years and have hated every other sandal I've tried on, so these CROCS are definitely special.

"CONVERTIBLE"
You can turn the "sandal" into a "shoe" simply by pushing forward the strap. In "shoe" mode, it's a tighter more snug fit, so you don't have to worry about it coming off your feet. In "sandal" mode, it's easy to slip on and off (although it has a tendency to cling to the bottom of your feet), for that quick trip outside to take out the trash, or pick up your cell phone that you left in the car.

PROBLEM: "SWEATY FEET"
One problem I have with the CROC is that it doesn't ventilate very well. Sure, it's got holes. But the material is such that it traps heat so you're feet end up sweating in warm weather.

PROBLEM: "HOLES ALLOW DEBRIS IN"
Another problem is that the holes allow all sorts of debris into the sandal while you're walking, such as loose rocks, wood chips at the playground, sand and dirt (when you're not at the beach), and rain water (puddles in the parking lot). This means that you're feet get dirty rather quickly and can be uncomfortable at places where there is a lot of debris - eg, playgrounds.

"SIZE & PRICE"
Sizing is a bit weird. I'd recommend going to a store first to try it on and see what size you are. It's hard to find a good selection at a store, so it's best just to dip in for sizing and then purchase the one you want on Amazon. Turned out to be the best thing for me, as I was able to score Army Green Caymans from Amazon, while searching at numerous stores I've only been able to find blue and black Caymans in sizes way too big. For $29.99 I think it's a bit pricey actually, but if you're picky about sandals like me, there's nothing you can do about it.

"STYLE"
One other thing you'll have to get used to is how aesthetically disgusting it is. Let's be frank: it's a damn ugly shoe and there's no way getting around it. It's not the prettiest thing to wear, but it's hands-down the most comfortable. Just be careful where you tread. Definitely not an all-terrain/purpose sandal. Good for beach and casual sidewalk/short trip walking.

"DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE BEACH AND CAYMAN STYLES"
None. Except that the sizes for Beach version are "ranges" and are more roomy for your feet. Cayman sizes are exact and are more narrow. Try on before you buy as the versions are not the same.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 26, 2010, 10:08:14 PM PDT
Very helpful to know the sizing difference between the Beach and Cayman. Thanks.

Posted on May 17, 2011, 12:52:10 PM PDT
R Delia says:
Thanks for the review

Posted on Feb 22, 2012, 5:10:21 AM PST
nrickenb says:
Very helpful review. I had a hunch I should probably try on a pair in-store for sizing, so now I know I'll be better off trekking to the mall for that and then buying from the better selection online. Thanks!

Posted on Mar 18, 2012, 2:03:41 PM PDT
J. Kennel says:
btw, Shoe Carnival has them to try on, just for sizing. I just saw them recently there. 2-3 colors and I didn't have time to try on. My last were 8, but now I might need a 9.

Posted on May 25, 2012, 8:47:11 AM PDT
Very informative review! Thank you.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012, 3:41:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012, 3:42:15 PM PST
L. Shepherd says:
My family is world renowned for bad feet. Lucky me. After working for far too long tending bar....my feet were shot. Not a pair of shoes on the planet that I didn't want OFF my feet the minute I had to walk any distance or stand for any length of time. Not convenient. After listening to me complain and seeing the shape of my feet....my husband "encouraged" me to buy a pair of these.

BEST thing I've ever done. Only shoe I wear except when I'm getting dressed up. Yes, they are butt-ugly, but the comfort cannot be beat. Terrific beach shoes, good for creek walking or endlessly treading the sidewalks at WDW. If you suffer from foot problems, this is your shoe. Accept that they're ugly and enjoy the comfort.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012, 12:43:55 PM PST
WHERE to find the good ole Crocs cayman or classic USA Made with Understandable sizing!! if not Amazon! What is this crazy sizing F, B, D(M) etc etc. Could find Nowhere that explains the sizing. I agree, the first ones I ever got were kushy, velvety, changed my life!-- they were marked in ranges I guess: S, M, L. The next ones I got DID NOT COMPARE: not comfy, kushy, velvety and marked by size 8. What gives??!! I have horrible foot problems and can find Nothing to compare to the original velvety, kushy size Large (which were too big - so when I got the size 8, they were a totally different shoe!).

Posted on Jul 15, 2013, 10:05:07 AM PDT
Excellent review! I liked your format! Breakdown of good and bad aspects was thoughtful. Thank you for taking the time to do so.

Posted on Jul 18, 2015, 10:47:35 PM PDT
deb2513 says:
Agreed that they are the ugliest shoes I've ever seen but also the most comfortable. However, BEWARE when walking on wet surfaces as these have very poor grip and you will soon find yourself flat on your back.

Posted on Dec 5, 2015, 9:54:20 PM PST
The crocs are far over priced. They should be ten dollars at the most.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›