Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice......., June 6, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic DMP-BDT500P Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player (Electronics)
The dmp-bdt500 is Panasonic's answer to the audiophile's desire to have a machine that offers superb video AND audio playback--they have succeeded. The highlights of this machine are the four Burr-Brown 192kHz/32-bit DAC's, 7.1 channel analog output, higher end capacitors and a more robust construction. I will express my opinion(s) about the design, engineering and performance. This machine is a Blu-ray player (and dvds of course), a cd player and is has built-in Wi-Fi for streaming movies, music and such. Therefore, it has the potential of being a 'one stop' solution for all of our home media needs and desires. And hopefully, it will have the ability to satiate the needs of the audiophile without sacrificing performance for the sake of convenience.

DESIGN

This machine is handsome, if not understated. It is sleek without being tiny. It is elegant--not ostentatious. It 'hits the mark' without trying too hard. Panasonic, though a quality brand, has not always had the prettiest components. For many years (of late) I found myself scratching my head at the eccentricities of some of Panasonic's designs. There were weird, translucent stripes buried within the skin(s) of their televisions and disc players. Panny's had conservative looking shapes in a market rife with "pretty" electronic sculptures, and digital displays that featured antiquated sticks rather than the more aesthetically pleasing dot matrix variety. For these reasons, I am very impressed with the design of the dmp-bdt500. The deck is a well built machine with a mirrored facade; the bottom third of the front facade fades from a mirror to a nice brushed silver finish. The "Panasonic" logo is centered onto the mirrored section of the faceplate. The top of the machine is sort of blackish, with four touch-sensitive buttons and a brushed appearance. The brushed look gives the machine a feeling of cohesion (with the faceplate) and will serve to obscure any future scratches. Another welcome design feature is the bright metal feet--they look elegant, but also serve to stabilize the deck. These circular feet are the best I've ever seen on a Panasonic disc player.

My critique of the design has to do with the look of the player once the faceplate drops down to reveal the disc tray. The look of the front panel is dull in comparison to the mirrored faceplate. It is a sort of washed out black color which does not seem to gel appropriately with the aesthetic of such a high-end machine. Keep in mind--this is Panasonic's highest end offering--her flagship deck. It is not terrible though...just nearly so. But, once the disc tray closes and the faceplate swings back into place, it is like a so-so looking wife who transforms into gorgeousity (ok...so it is not a word) once her face is painted. The player is pretty though, but not perfect because of the previously mentioned reasons. But, it will not look out of place in the company of higher end components--it's a classy deck.

Score: 9/10

ENGINEERING

I am not an engineer--or a scientist (this is why I am so charming). However, spec-wise this player is a tremendous value. In order to get Burr-Brown 192kHz/32-bit DAC's into a disc player, the consumer usually has to spend about a thousand bucks or more (do the research if you are inclined to disagree). The dmp-bdt500 also has 7.1 channel analog output, high end capacitors, gold plated terminals (a gimmick as far as I am concerned), and nice, stabilizing feet. The construction of the deck is hefty and substantial. The touch sensitive buttons are also a nice addition to this player (although many BD players have this these days). Just by looking at the spec sheet, it should be evident that this is Panasonic's best offering yet. On paper, it is the best deck Panasonic has ever built...and it is only $350 (or less). Value-wise, this player is simply untouchable, one would have to spend three times the amount to get the same "stuff".

Score: 10/10

PERFORMANCE

But how does she play? I am here to tell you...she plays like buttuh.....this deck is n-i-i-i-i-c-e. Although music is most important to me, I popped in a Blu-ray. Since I really dig classic movies on Blu-ray, I played Hitchcock's "To Catch a Thief". This disc is already great looking, but I have never seen it look like this. Wow...it is evident that, although most BD players look excellent, it IS possible to bring it up a notch. This is just an arbitrary rating with no basis in objective metrics, but I have a really good eye, and I will say with confidence that this player will make your Blu-rays look about 20% better; remember, all Blu-ray players look "good", so this is really sayin' something. I then popped in "North By Northwest"----stunning. "The Ten Commandments" looks so good, it got me reading my Bible again. So, I will say that videophiles will love this machine.

I l-o-o-o-v-e music. The cd playback is the most important aspect to my satisfaction with this deck. My taste is eclectic. I love reggae/ska, classical (Bach fanatic), punk rock and have a lot of new wave cds (hey...I'm in my thirties man). This player plays everything good. With reggae the sound is tight with fast base (not too fast though); there is nice punch to the base. The sound is smooth, but dynamic. Dynamic range is very important to the audiophile...this aint no 'run of the mill' dvd player here, this deck is good...really good. All of Bach's cello suites sound fantastic--good enough for any audio snob. This player has very good punch and attack (the leading edges of notes). I have B &W speakers and a good, clean HK amp, so I am able to extract the goodness from this player. I tested the dynamic range (which rates at a respectable 105db) of this deck by playing "Seed" by Sublime, "Beverly Hills" by Weezer and "Darkness" by Black Uhuru. She is dynamic. As you may know, the biggest appeal of SACD's is the dynamic range. Although this deck does not play SACD's, she is good and dynamic. Highs are top notch, mids are tight and composed and the base is deep and punchy. The sound is neat and dynamic...not sloppy at all. Classical will sound classy, punk will sound, uh, punk-y, reggae will sound exceptionally IRIE and and you will certainly be able to 'rock out' with any hard rock stuff you choose to play--as long as you have good speakers and a good, clean amp or receiver. For a $350 (or less) deck, you will not be able to do better with movies and music--period. You will find yourself breaking out all of your favorite cds. If you are reading this, you probably know that you should use analog cables to listen to cds...just checkin'...all the kids now are listening to compressed music--I only do that on the go.

How does she stream...is the wi-fi any good? I recently upgraded from the Panasonic dmp-bdt320. This player (the 500) is better with movies and MUCH better with cds. But, she broke my heart a bit with the wi-fi. I really like to listen to Pandora. This player sounds great with Pandora, especially when you activate "high clarity sound" and have it in "digital tube" mode (number 5...you'll see). Pandora (or other digital files) will sound like nectar if you use the previously mentioned enhancements. Just make sure you use no sound enhancements when you are listening to cds via analog inputs. I always make sure sound enhancements are turned off when I listen to cds--it makes a huge difference...just let the sweet Burr-Brown DAC's do their thing.

The wi-fi on the 320 is better than the wi-fi on the 500. This player is more inconsistent with wi-fi, especially Pandora. After a few songs, I keep getting an Error message "-6". It just bugs me. I do not have the patience to dance around with some Panasonic customer service rep on the phone! The 320 streamed Pandora for hours without issues. Perhaps it has to do with the placement of the wi-fi unit inside of the component itself--I don't know. But, the fidelity of the Blu-ray and CD playback is good enough to temper my aggravation with the quirky wi-fi in the 500. I guess you cannot have it all for $350.

Video Score: 10/10

CD Playback Score: 10/10

Wi-Fi Score: 5/10

CONCLUSION

If CD playback is very important to you, this player will please you. If a top-notch Blu-ray image is what you are after, buy this deck. If you want a fantastic wi-fi streamer, and do not care about CD playback as much (some do not) then the dmp-bdt320 is all you will need. It has a fantastic Blu-ray image and is a very good wi-fi player..cd playback is just adequate--not audiophile caliber, because the dynamic range is not as good as the 500. But, if you want an audiophile caliber CD player, a videophile caliber Blu-ray player and do not care about wi-fi as much, the dmp-bdt500 will 'blow your hair back". You can always get a separate unit for wi-fi and many people have it built into their tvs. For the low price, the audiophile on a budget could do no better, especially if s/he does not have a SACD collection and does not want to start one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 52 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 13, 2012, 1:35:40 PM PDT
Mark Victor says:
Very helpful review. The only thing left to comment on would be how this player does with FLAC files, and perhaps to educate the rest of us about these : are they generally reasonably priced, is most music available in this format, are they easy to download, are they generally better sounding than CD's, etc.?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012, 10:39:20 PM PDT
RealScoop says:
I concur. Unfortunately, as an Apple guy (not sure if that means anything), I do not know much about FLAC. But, I would like to learn about it--the idea of 'lossless' compressed audio is very appealing to me. If anyone can educate us about how to create FLAC files, please add to this discussion and enlighten us...or, post a whole review about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012, 3:54:47 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 6, 2012, 4:06:38 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 6, 2012, 4:18:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 6, 2012, 4:20:28 PM PDT
You say the audio is better using analog? I always assumed HDMI was the better option. I am looking for a 3D capable player. I am considering this Panasonic because of the features and quality at this price point. I just purchased a Denon AVR-3312 receiver that is 3D capable. A 3D flat screen is in my near future. My current Blu-Ray is a couple years old LG that has 7.1 analog. I purchased it for that feature since my prior receiver, an older Yamaha didn't have HDMI. So when you say analog is better are you comparing it to HDMI? Usually when I listen to music I only listen to 2 channels and the sub. I have Paradigm Monitor 7 speakers up front. Streaming wouldn't be a problem since my receiver does an excellent job. BTW, great review.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012, 11:51:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 6, 2012, 11:53:58 PM PDT
RealScoop says:
I am surprised that you have not heard this before...but fair enough, intuitively, I could see how one might think that 'digital', being the 'newer' technology, would surpass analog--an older technology. In a crude analogy, I will ask you this question. When you bake something...or even reheat a couple of slices of pizza, what yields a better tasting result, a microwave oven, or a conventional oven? Although it is a matter of personal taste, most people would prefer the 'taste' of the older method of cooking. The coloration, 'crunch' and texture of food just cannot be replicated in a microwave oven ("Hot Pocket" crisping sleeves aside). Likewise, analog yields more warmth, texture and richness than digital does (usually). HDMI can sound really good though...but it is usually a bit more cold, mechanical and "thinner" sounding than analog. Give this a try (hopefully on a good caliber player)...hook up analog cables to your player and the "CD" inputs (one red...one white usually) on your receiver. Put a cd into the deck and play it (make sure your receiver is set to "CD" and not to "blu-ray" or "DVD". The sound will sound especially good on analog if your player has a real good DAC like the dmp-bdt500. You can always Google "DAC". Ultimately, it is about personal preference. But, most 'audiophile' types are purists and will prefer analog seven days a week and twice on Sunday to the 'digital' sound. But...for movies...especially if you have a surround set-up (lots of speakers and so forth) HDMI will render the surround sound codes more accurately. That being said...I still watch movies (Blu-rays) in stereo.

Check out this link I pasted for more relevant information.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012, 9:35:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2012, 9:41:54 AM PDT
Pizza reheated in a microwave is rubbery :). With all of the hype concerning how great HDMI was I assumed it to be true and I never took the time to compare it to older technology. I still use my turntable since I have a vast collection of LP's (I'm probably quite a bit older than you) and I enjoy the sound of my LP's over that of CD's. So I guess that is similar to analog vs digital. I'll try listening to my CDs on 2 channel analog to see If I can notice much of a difference. Thank you very much for your insightful and humorous reply.

Posted on Jul 18, 2012, 9:15:19 PM PDT
Mateo says:
I have the Panny BDT210 that has been nothing but a headache. It makes so much noise when discs are in it that the disc noise can be heard over movie/music audio. How quietly does this unit run?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012, 10:40:23 PM PDT
RealScoop says:
good-to-go...I have not noticed any obtrusive noise...just good, clean sound from music and movies.

Posted on Aug 6, 2012, 4:12:17 PM PDT
Mark Victor says:
I recently purchased the Panasonic BDT-220 and discovered it does not allow me to program a playlist from either a CD or a Music Bluray. This is my first Bluray Player, so perhaps that's a common limitation. But what about the Panasonic BDT-500 here? It would be very frustrating to me to pay for better audio quality and not be able to program a playlist.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012, 12:46:18 AM PDT
Gabriel says:
He said the audio analog is better to play cd`s I have the Pioneer Blu Ray BDP-51FD,for play cd`s and is outstanding sound from the analog outs.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›