Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18_gno

on February 1, 2011
I started Les Mis with the translation by Fahnestock & MacAfee in paperback. After reading more than 3/4 of the book, I purchased a Kindle. While I awaited its arrival, I downloaded Kindle to my PC & searched for a Kindle copy of Les Mis (& didn't want to pay a second time for the book). I could not find the same translation, but this is very similar. I easily transferred over 450 highlights from my paper copy to the ebook (on my computer). It took time, but it was pretty straightforward (a little awkward since the translations weren't identical). It would have been much harder & longer to try to do that on the actual Kindle.

One thing I miss in this translation: "Slang" is usually used instead of "argot", "emeute" is not used for "riot". It was fun to have some French words which would be explained & repeated in the text, used as text (in the F & M translation), instead of a translation which seems weak (in the Kindle copy). This is why I gave it a 4 instead of a 5.

I really liked the links from the Table of Contents to each volume, book & chapter (chapters were not listed in the Table of Contents of the paperback). But there is no forward option (to the next chapter). The format was very readable, even easier than the paperback (a blank line between paragraphs, which was very helpful on the extra long paragraphs).

An added bonus, which I found helpful, at the end of the Kindle copy, there is a letter Hugo wrote to the Italian publisher in 1862 telling in his words why Les Mis is for all nations. (This was not in my paper copy.)

By the time my Kindle arrived, my notes were ready to sync from the PC to the Kindle (pretty quick & mostly painfree), & I finished the book with the Kindle... much easier to hold & manipulate than 1500 pages.
11 comment| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?