Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon counterpart counterpart counterpart  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18SW_gno

on December 22, 2008
The above is a quote from "Siobhan," a woman who was the victim of mobbing (group bullying, often acquiesced in by management) in the workplace. Almost 10 years after my own experience (as an older adult beginning massage therapy school; I was never bullied in the workplace in 32 years of working), the memory of that nightmare is as sharp as ever in me. In this important book, Kohut refers to Dr. Heinz Leymann's work on mobbing, and the 5 distinct stages: Conflict - Aggressive acts - Management Involvement - Branding the victim as "Difficult" or "mentally ill, " and inevitably, Expulsion. I went through all of that.

Since then, thanks to a loving husband and a lot of time, I have finished my MBA degree and have, on the outside at least, moved on. But just reading this book brought so much back to me that I can never forget or forgive.

But if you're a manager with the power to change things, you should read this book.

I will never forgive the people who left me to the mercy (not that they knew the meaning of the word) of my classmates. Except for those classmates and teachers who were kind to me, (and there were some, but like me, they had no real power) may God damn the others for what they did to me.

If you've been bullied, you'll find some of this disturbing. If you're a manager, you should read this book and take it seriously.
22 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?