Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ryley Walker Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

1,212 of 1,301 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Some Disassembly Required, April 21, 2011
This review is from: Belkin F8Z492ttP Bluetooth Music Receiver (Wireless Phone Accessory)
THIS REVIEW APPLIES ONLY TO F8Z492 A2DP RECEIVER, NOT BELKIN'S NEW HD BT RECEIVER.

This device has great audio quality and terrible range (not what is claimed), but if you've already bought it you're in luck! There is a quick modification that can restore this device to the advertised range.

Modification Instructions (you'll need a small flat head screwdriver and a hot glue gun):
Pop the top off of it with the screwdriver starting at the ports.
Pull out the circuit board and you'll see a large piece of metal. This metal is entirely unnecessary and serves only to satisfy customers who innately feel that heavier is more valuable.
The piece of metal is held in place with double sided tape, so just pop it out.
Put the circuit board back in place (it should sort of snap in).
Put hot glue around the edge of the enclosure and put the top back in place.
Now this device conforms to all the specifications that Belkin specifies.

I hope this helps everyone out! Belkin's support department has chosen to ignore my inquiries.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 14 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 136 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2011 11:31:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2011 11:33:24 AM PDT
A. Shum says:
i also seem to have a "digitized" issue as well... its very apparent when listening to spoken word such as a podcast. it sounds almost like cp30 from starwars.

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 7:51:18 PM PDT
Fantastic! Thanks for the super easy fix. I am not a tinkerer, so popping the top off made me a bit nervous, but it was easy. My top set back on neatly.

If anyone is having digital noise issues, make sure your stereo cable is pushed firmly into the Belkin receiver. The cable plug can feel like it is fully seated when it is not, so an extra push might help get rid of the digi-noise.

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 12:58:02 PM PDT
Jeff P. says:
Thanks! This item is not bad out of the box (I have a small house) but I will remove the metal chunk anyway...when my dog walks between my iPod and the Belkin the sound kinda sputters. But this is a great value vs. the proprietary bluetooth dongle sold as an option by the vendor of my surround receiver (this is less than half the price and isn't proprietary). Thanks again for a great review!

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 7:17:05 PM PDT
Colton22 says:
I have a question regarding the electrical requirements of this unit as i am looking to direct wire this into my vehicle under the dash panel. What does the power adapter state is the output voltage? Can this item run on batteries? If this unit is 12V that would be perfect as I could walk into my car with my phone, connect and play directly into my car stereo!

Also will the unit still work properly if the power source is cut off without directly turning the unit off? As I am hoping to hook this directly to a power source that cuts off when the car is turned off (having a separate second direct wire for direct on).

Any information provided will help greatly, thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011 6:24:05 AM PDT
Jeff P. says:
The power supply says output = 5V 0.2A. No batteries. There is no power switch on the device; it's on when it's plugged in. I had it connected to my iPod and unplugged the Belkin...the iPod switched from "connected" to "not connected." So I plugged it back in (turned it on) and the iPod remained "not connected," but it was still paired with the Belkin. I had to tap the device on the iPod to make it connect, which it did immediately.

Have you looked into this item? I considered it but the Belkin seemed more suitable for what I wanted to do.

Miccus - Bluetooth receiver for car and home audio systems. Great for adding wireless to older vehicles and audio systems. Pair with phones, tablets, PCs and Bluetooth transmitters (Mini-jack RX)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011 7:49:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 27, 2011 7:55:10 AM PDT
Colton22 says:
I see, it plugs into the wall, I need to make this compatible with a 12V system. Will the unit work with power on and off? I will look into your recommendation, is your recommendation 12V?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011 7:53:51 AM PDT
W. Moore says:
As Jeff stated, it takes a 5V power source. It is most definitely an A2DP receiver. You could probably use a USB charger to power it with a minimal amount of wiring.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011 8:14:40 AM PDT
Jeff P. says:
It doesn't work with the power off. I don't know of something that uses exactly 12V, sorry.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011 8:18:09 AM PDT
Colton22 says:
Thank you for your help so far Jeff. I do understand that the unit will not work with the power off however was wondering if it would work with it being on a power-strip that gets turned on and off. If the power is inconsistent, whenever there is power to the unit after there hasn't been for a day, does it still work (is what i am asking). This unit sounds like more along what i would like to use as it provides for a solid power input, this I may be able to wire to the car's system and provide a *car on bluetooth on*, *car off bluetooth off* scenario.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011 8:30:37 AM PDT
Jeff P. says:
I don't know how it would react after a day of being off. It seemed fine with the power being off for ~5 minutes. I'm sure it would still work after 24 hrs of being off; whether or not you'd have to pair with it again I dunno but that shouldn't be too difficult.