Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win PCB for Musical Instruments Limited time offer Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 7, 2011
This is the first - and hopefully only - scanner I've ever bought. My parents have passed away, and, as you probably guessed, I am scanning in 80 years worth of photos. It's a huge project.

I can't compare this scanner to others, but it is doing the job for me. What I've been doing is letting it do its thing while I'm doing something else - like typing in this review, for example. As the specs mention, it's got a big scanning surface. It's also got different plastic trays for holding differently-sized negatives, and slides.

The one definite thing I can say about this is to buy the Epson V600 instead of the V500. If you're like me, and you're scanning in lots of old crinkly photos, the V600 has the ability to get rid of some of the dust, folds, and wear and tear on the photo when you're scanning it in. The difference between the two is that for whatever reason, the V500 can only do that on slides or negatives. So to be able to have this ability on all your old photos, it's worth the $40 difference in price, if you ask me.

The one downside to this scanner is the speed. Again, I have nothing to compare this to, but I am scanning in photos at a relatively high resolution, 1200 dpi, so that I never ever have to scan them ever again. It takes a good long while, about 2 minutes a photo, to scan. The nice thing is that you can put 4 or 6 photos on the scanning surface (depending on size) and it will generally identify them as separate photos, and scan each in as its own file. This obviously saves a lot of time, but it takes 8 or more minutes to scan.
22 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?