BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

on November 22, 2011
On Saturday (11/19), my son and I attended an advance screening of the new movie "The Muppets". From the moment I received the invitation, I started going back in time to when my entire family would gather in the family room to watch The Muppets on TV.

I remember the show format being similar to "Laugh In" and 'Sonny and Cher" (if you are old enough to remember back that far). I was in love with Miss Piggy and Kermit the Frog and Fozzie's silly jokes cracked me up. Everyone was rooting for Gonzo to finally do one of his hair brained stunts right and the dancing chickens were the hit of the evening. And each show was always hosted by one of the biggest stars in Hollywood. When I told my son that I was a few years older that he is now when the show first came on TV, he said "Dang! The Muppets are that old?" Don't you just love kids...

The movie "The Muppets" starts out back in the day when the TV show was still a major hit. A little boy (well, more puppet than boy) named Walter who doesn't fit in with the rest of the kids in the neighborhood discovers The Muppets Show on TV and lives and breathes everything Muppets related all the way into adulthood. His brother Gary (played by Jason Segel) it very protective of Walter, much to the chagrin of his very, very long time girlfriend Mary (played by Amy Adams). What was suppose to be romantic getaway to LA for Mary and Gary, turns into a trip to the old Muppets studios by the threesome.

The Muppet Theater is now in major disrepair because the gang has all gone their separate ways. Kermit is in seclusion. Miss Piggy is now a Vogue editor in Paris. Fonzie Bear is living foul doing bad theater in Reno and Animal is in a mental institution with actor Jack Black. When a evil oilman plans to take over the Muppet Studios and tear it down, Gary talks the Muppet gang into getting back together to raise enough money to save the studio from ruin.

The movie is a totally cute vehicle for introducing a new audience to The Muppets while also taking the people who grew up watching the show in the 1970's back down memory lane. My son thought all the silly gags and fart jokes were great and I was singing The Muppets song and totally enjoying getting re-acquitted with all the characters from my youth.

My favorite character is still Miss Piggy and she was adorable with all her clothing and hair changes throughout the movie. My son was rolling when Miss Piggy started karate chopping everyone. And when Kermit started singing "The Rainbow Connection" I was singing right along with him.

Just like in the original series, his movie had cameo appearances from major Hollywood stars like Mickey Rooney, Alan Arkin, Selena Gomez, Whoopi Goldberg, and Neil Patrick Harris.

If you were not a Muppets fan before, you will be after seeing this cute movie. And don't say I did not warn you when you start singing "The Rainbow Connection" and "Mahna Mahna" on your way home :)

"The Muppets" opens in theaters Wednesday November 23, 2011 and is rated PG due to signature Muppets fantasy violence.
22 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?