Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Upgrade from the Pulse, July 22, 2010
This review is from: Livescribe 8 GB Echo Smartpen (Personal Computers)
I love my Pulse 4GB. This Echo 8GB is just that much nicer - more comfortable to hold, more memory, better uplink connection than the Pulse's standard cradle, which is a little too easy to knock the pen off from. The Pulse's pro cradle (upright) is very nice, though. The new Mac Desktop update (2.2.1) is a very good one, with a much easier interface for sharing pencasts, pdfs, and AAC files. Like the previous reviewer, I had difficulty at first, but ended up manually downloading and installing the latest software update (my software kept telling me I had the latest, but it was 2.1). It replaced my previous version(keeping all the Pulse files intact), and after the quick install, it began to recognize the Echo without any problem.

The new pen cap is little and fits tight - I suspect it will be lost quickly. It is different than the Pulse caps - smaller, and fits on differently. I don't notice much difference at all in using the Echo vs the Pulse, but I do find it more comfortable and less dorky-looking. I never considered 4GB to be too little storage, but 8GB certainly allows me to record everything at the highest quality without concern. Interestingly, this pen didn't come with the recording headphones - which are nice, but way too dorky to actually use. If you are looking to buy a first Smartpen, you really can't go wrong with either the Pulse or the Echo. If you are a student or an attorney or anyone who needs to recall detailed discussion points, you won't be sorry. The variety of notebooks now is fantastic.

Note: EVERY high school and college student with learning disorders involving processing speeds, slow writing, Asperger's Syndrome, or attentional issues should have and use this product. I suspect this will replace "note takers" eventually, as this is FAR less expensive and more effective (see 2008-09 research study from Rochester Institute of Technology).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 10, 2010, 2:55:28 PM PDT
MariaSmiles says:
Thanks for the details, Karen. I love my pulse and am wondering if upgrading is worth it. The only two complaints I have is the rolling and the so-so grip. The echo would improve that, but is it worth the $$$? Hmmm...

Also, for others who are interested, I found a link to the word doc for that study:

m

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2011, 12:19:59 PM PDT
Try http://www.rit.edu/~w-ao/Documents/DSOLivescribeSmartpenPilotProgram_000.doc
The link above seems to be dead.

Posted on Jan 24, 2012, 1:56:06 PM PST
Hey there Karen, I know this comment is after the fact but I have a question. What do you mean in your review when you say--- I suspect this (live scribe pen) will replace "note-takers" eventually as this is FAR less expensive and more effective . . .

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "note-takers". Thanks in advance.

Posted on Jan 24, 2012, 1:57:31 PM PST

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "note-takers". Thanks in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2012, 2:43:47 PM PST
Note-takers are classmates hired by colleges to submit notes for distribution to individuals with disabilities qualifying them for that accommodation. It is a very common accommodation in colleges, and is more costly than smart pens (one semester of notes for one class might cost $450 or more.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2012, 2:53:03 PM PST
Thanks so much for your reply. So you're saying that using live scribe would reduce the need for hiring note takers each semester. Is that correct? Sorry if that's off base. Today is the first I've heard of students being paid as note takers. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2012, 4:14:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2012, 9:06:38 PM PST
Absolutely. See the link above your first comment for the study RIT did a couple years ago. Do know that substantial documentation of a disability is required for provision of that accommodation. However, I think all students should be allowed to use Smart Pens and I allow and encourage their use in my classroom with the restriction that recordings are for personal use only and may not be uploaded to the Internet, shared, or reproduced in any way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012, 7:26:25 AM PST
I just read the article. Great info. Thanks for replying. I am somewhat shocked that it seems some instructors would not allow smart pens. It seems like such a great tool, I plan to buy one for our 8th grade son. Better to learn how to use it now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012, 10:50:02 AM PDT
note takers refers to people assigned in a class room to take notes for a student with a learning disability

Posted on Jan 6, 2013, 12:03:45 PM PST
M. Maslen says:
This is a review for the Echo - the review for the Echo and the rating are being used to distort the reviews and ratings for the Sky pen - buyer beware!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›