Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ryley Walker Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

2,580 of 2,652 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I'm Looking For, October 7, 2011
This review is from: AmazonBasics Stylus for Touchscreen Devices Including Kindle Fire HD 8.9-Inch, Kindle Fire HD 7-Inch, Kindle Fire, Apple iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad mini, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 (Personal Computers)
So I was looking to grade papers using my iPad 2, and in doing so, decided I would need a stylus that works with the capacative screen. I spent a lot of time researching the competition and here's what I came up with.

DAGi Capacitive Stylus For Apple iPad & iPad 2 & iPhone 4 & iPod Touch
Length: about 4.7 inches
Pros: See-thru tip lets you see exactly where you are writing. Weight close to what I was looking for.
Cons: Needs exact angle on the screen, so it gets tiring after some use, as you can't change the angle.

Ten One Design Pogo Sketch Stylus for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch (Silver)
Length: 4.8 inches
Pros: Multiple color choices. Good length, responsive.
Cons: Foam tip seems like it could wear out too quickly. Too light.

Just Mobile AluPen Stylus, Black
Length: 4.7 inches
Pros: Multiple color choices. Responsive rubber tip. Durable aluminum shaft.
Cons: Really thick and heavy, like those crayons toddlers use.

SGP Stylus Pen Kuel H10 Series [Black]
Length: 3 extendable to just over 4 inches
Pros: Smaller yet responsive silicone tip. Three color choices. This was my second choice. Includes cap, and the shaft telescopes to make it longer.
Cons: Not too many, except perhaps a little too heavy.

Bamboo Stylus for iPad (CS100K)
Length: 4.7 inches
Pros: Build quality seemed really nice, perhaps a little too light.
Cons: I liked this stylus, but it was just too expensive compared to the others.

Griffin Technology Stylus for iPad, iPod touch, iPhone and other touchscreens
Length: about 4.3 inches
Pros: Comfortable.
Cons: Tip seemed too big for writing. Perhaps as a general navigation stylus.

Kensington Virtuoso Stylus for Tablet Computer - Black, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S Compatible (K39358US)
Length: 4.3 inches
Pros: Available with a ball point pen for more money.
Cons: Nothing really stood out. Looked like the tip might wear out.

Targus Stylus for Apple iPad 16GB, 32GB, 64GB WiFi + 3G, iPad 2, iPhone, iPod, Tablet AMM01US (Black)
Length: 5.2 inches
Pros: Well balanced but heavier with pen option. Available with a ball point pen for more money, for even more you can add a laser pointer. Inexpensive with no "options"
Cons: Imprecise. Hard to form letters, as tip was not rounded enough.

And finally, the one I bought.
AmazonBasics Stylus for Touchscreen Devices Including Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch, Apple iPad 2, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Tab, BlackBerry PlayBook (Black)
Length: 4.1 inches
Pros: Was exactly the weight I was looking for. Tip seems durable and it feels well balanced. I will post updates as I use it more. Price was good, and I have always had good experiences with AmazonBasics gear in the past.
Cons: Amazon put an ad for this product on a page for a competing product within Amazon. Kinda sneaky, but I am happy I saw it.

I did look at other styli, but didn't really have too much to say about the others. Perhaps I should have looked at the Hard Candy Cases iPad Stylus but it seemed too expensive and kinda awkward.

As you can see weight was one of the most important factors in my decision. Too light, and it skips... too heavy and your hand gets tired. I also wanted something at least 4 inches for my rather large hands. The Amazon Basics Stylus seems to have hit the spot.

Update: 1/27/12 - The stylus is holding up well with a medium amount of use. I've found that cleaning the tip every once in a while has helped with responsiveness. Some people have asked how I was able to make an accurate comparison, some with anger... to that I say this: I've had small touch devices and big hands for a long time now, and have taken the opportunity to try these things as I have encountered them. This includes a combination of buying, borrowing, trying in stores/trade shows, and online research (especially regarding length). That being said, this is just an opinion, not something to get worked up about. Please keep that in mind when making your purchase decision, as well as when leaving comments. Thanks and happy tableting :-)

Update: 2/5/13 - Stylus still OK, but I don't use it as much anymore, since I got an external keyboard and my habits have changed somewhat. I removed the little lanyard on the end, as it occasionally got in the way. There are a lot of new styluses that have come out since my review as well as two new iPads. I purchased an iPad 3 for my wife and of course got her a stylus, plus a pretty cool Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover Black for iPad 2 and iPad (3rd/4th generation) (920-004013) which she loves. Might get one for myself but I have large hands (thus why I looked for a stylus some time ago).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 84 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 8, 2011 12:51:40 PM PDT
Brenda says:
How is the accuracy of the Amazon stylus compared to the others?

Posted on Oct 19, 2011 7:12:11 PM PDT
stacey says:
The kensington is the first stylus i tried for my asus and it was very imprecise. And... like you predicted, the rubber fell off in only a week! Im going to try this one! Thanks!

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 5:14:26 PM PDT
DeP says:
Wow, thanks for the amazing review!

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 3:26:02 AM PDT
Xtine says:
I was one of the backers of this Kickstarter project. A wonderful stylus for iDevices. If you're curious and want to check it out, here is the website. I dd not see it with your listing. The name is 'the Jot or the Jot Pro which is magnetic and clicks to your iPad. http://adonit.net/product/jot/

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 11:05:44 AM PDT
W. Huffman says:
A very nice comparison of stylus, thanks.

However, I believe the weights that you used include packaging... or something. My Pogo weighs 1/4 ounce, not the .8 ounce that you show. My Boxwave weighs 3/8 ounce.

I will buy the AmazonBasic after reading your thorough review, but I expect it will weigh about a half ounce.

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 4:48:15 PM PDT
How do you grade papers using an iPad?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 11:41:55 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 12:27:02 PM PST
Xtine says:
Did you see those tiny button keys on the Fire? Now try, with or without arthritis fingers, typing something. I'll bet that frustration will set in soon and you'll often touch the wrong keys. The Fire is heavy to hold, much heavier than the iPad, add typing on those tiny keys to it and you have painful hands pretty quick. Using a stylus makes it a lot easier to hit the right keys and relieve stress on the hand. Now if only they would make an iProp for the Fire I would be a happy puppy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 8:11:13 AM PST
M. St-Louis says:
Nothing is wrong with using fingers, but for precise work such as handwriting on the screen, a stylus would be more accurate. For artists showcasing their portfolio on a tablet, not touching the screen with fingers is a plus as it keeps the screen clean.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 5:54:07 PM PST
M. St-Louis and Xtine - You have convinced me. With my arthritic hands and fingers, I have just ordered a stylus for my Kindle and kindle fire. Thank you.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›