Industrial Deals HPC Trade in your textbooks Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Luke Bryan PCB for Musical Instruments Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on April 24, 2012
Bought this Brother HL-2270DW less than 30 days ago. Within 2 days I replaced the starter cartridge with a new TN-420 thinking I would hold the starter cartridge in reserve. In less than 2 or 3 hundred pages the toner light started flashing and the printer refused to print. I did not believe that the cartridge could possibly be out of toner, so I searched the web and found the following instructions to reset the out of toner condition:
===================
- Open the front cover and leave open while completing the following steps.
- Turn the printer off.
- Hold the 'go' button (or "start' button) while turning the printer on. All panel lights should be on.
- Release the 'go' button (or "start' button).
- Press the 'go' button (or "start' button) 2 times.
- Pause. All panel lights should be on.
- Press the 'go' button (or "start' button) 5 times.(I have been told to press 6 times for the TN-450 cartridge.)
The toner light should be off. (error may be flashing)
The paper light should be on or flashing.
- Close cover. The ready light should be the only light on.
====================
The printer functioned fine after the reset. I have no idea how long the "fix" will last.
A pox on companies that build devices like this.
ONE YEAR LATER April 16, 2013
So I have had this printer for one year now and I must say, that except for the above problem, it has functioned flawlessly. In retrospect it has proved to be very cost effective and efficient.
ALMOST TWO YEARS LATER February 9, 2014
Many readers have suggested that I should reconsider the one star review.
I appreciate their point, especially as I am coming up on two years of ownership and the printer is still performing well. (Subject to an occasional reset.)
But I just can't get passed what I take to be intentional misinformation by Brother to their customers causing them to buy unneeded toner. That just seems dishonest to me. But I will say this, if I were in the market for a similar printer I believe that the HL-2270DW would be a good choice as long as one knew about the bogus out of toner problem.
I have received feedback from many people who have saved a lot of money by extending the life of their toner cartridges. For that reason more than any other I believe I will let the review stand.
ADDENDUM April 9, 2014
Yesterday the printer decided that I should replace the drum. The drum light would flash and any attempt to print resulted in an error. The last prints looked excellent so I was not about to replace a good drum. I tried a drum reset but it did not work so I did a Brother HL-2270dw - Factory reset and now all is fine.
This is how I did it:
1. Turn off the printer.
2. Hold the GO button while you turn the printer on. Hold the button until all the LEDs light up and the Ready LED light turns off.
3. Release GO, all the LEDs will turn off.
4. Press GO ten times. The printer will now restart.
ADDENDUM July 3, 2014
I recently bought another HL-2270DW. It is a great printer as long as you know the caveats discussed above.
ADDENDUM February 1, 2017
Tried to reset the drum on my newest 2270 as above. It did not work. The instructions below did.
Step 1: Open the front door of the printer. This is the door you open to change the toner or drum. ...
Step 2: Press and hold the Go button until ALL the lights come on. They will come on one at a time, and stay on, from the top down. ...
Step 3: Release the Go button. ...
Step 4: Close the front door of the printer.
5150+ comments| 1,389 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?