Amazon Vehicles 4-month subscription Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Clarisonic Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon GoodGirlsRevolt GoodGirlsRevolt GoodGirlsRevolt  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now Save on select ClickTight convertible car seats

5.0 out of 5 stars Great router, but not for the average consumer., July 21, 2013
This review is from: Ubiquiti EdgeMax EdgeRouter Lite ERLite-3 512MB Memory 3 Ethernet Ports Router (Camera)
First, this is not a consumer grade device. If you are looking for the ease of setup you'd find on a Linksys, I would recommend another product. I agree with others that the interface could be more helpful as there are no wizards or prompts to guide you during configuration, however, keep in mind this product isn't targeted at the consumer market. You either need to have limited knowledge of networking or a desire to learn, in which case it's a fantastic box to play with. Over time I believe Ubiquiti will round out the UI, but for right now there's a steep learning curve if you're unfamiliar with networking in general. In the interim, Ubiquiti does publish a basic SOHO configuration example on their community website, all of which can be configured using the WebUI.

The device is based on Vyatta (v6.3 I believe) but is heavily customized and optimized for the hardware. I'm a network/sys admin by profession and with a little assistance from the help command, I found learning the syntax easy and similar to Cisco, HP, and others. Within minutes of plugging it in, I was able to SSH in and began entering commands. If you're familiar with Vyatta at all, you can download the config file from the device, use an editor such as Notepad++ to modify it directly then reapply to the device..

So far I've purchased two of these units, the first succumbed to the DDR memory issue that is well documented on their support forums. I've only recently contacted support for an RMA. Information in the forums suggests the problem was limited to earlier batches of the product and mitigating steps in production were taken to correct the issue permanently. I've been running the second box for only a few weeks with no issues so far. I'll update the review after the RMA process or if the second unit has issues in the interim.

Speaking of support, I highly recommend you familiarize yourself with their community website. Ubiquiti's tagline is "Superior performance. Disruptive price." Ubiquiti gear is cheap, but that price comes at the cost of more formal support. If you're looking for 24/7 access to phone based support, I don't recommend this product. Ubiquiti offers e-mail support only to my knowledge but most questions I had were already answered on the community website. Regarding my DDR issue, I have to give them credit, they responded to my ticket within about ten minutes with steps to troubleshoot the DDR memory issue. Subsequent communication was just as expedient (during their business hours). For the price I paid I can't complain. I purchased a second unit as a backup and still spent $100 less on the pair than a single entry level SonicWALL would have been. Another benefit, no recurring hardware/software maintenance costs. You buy the box and that's it, no recurring or other licensing costs to receive firmware updates or unlock features.

Even with the dead unit, I'm nothing less than happy with this product. If you have the expertise or just want to learn, this is a great buy for the money. Depending on how things shake out I'll be recommending these units to a few clients.

UPDATE 8/1/2013
I've had no issues with the RMA process. Shipped the defective unit to Ubiquiti via Priority Mail and received a new unit back within a week via UPS Ground. The secondary unit has been functioning perfectly in the interim.

UPDATE 10/5/2013
The uptime on the router is now at about 2 1/2 months. Last reboot was due to the firmware upgrade to 1.2.0. Since then I've added a new VoIP network and am pushing a fair amount of data through this box to my VoIP provider. I will say the box does run a little on the warm side but that doesn't seem to be impacting the router in the slightest. It's solid.

UPDATE 1/7/2014
Both units continue to function to my satisfaction. I recently upgraded to 1.3.0 and noted the addition of a first time setup wizard though I can't speak to how it works as it doesn't let you launch the wizard if you're already up and running. So far so good, I'm still enjoying these units.

UPDATE 5/23/2015
Recently upgraded to the 1.6.0 firmware. Ubiquiti has made great strides in adding functionality to the WebUI. I rarely enter the cli anymore. I have multiple units installed both at home and various client offices. Bottom line, they just work. I'm running thousands of dollars of Ubiquiti gear at various client sites. Over two years, I've had exactly two failures, my first EdgeRouter and a PoE injector which was destroyed by water due to its placement, my bad. This stuff is solid.

[Add comment]