BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 6, 2011
I like modern fantasy. Quite a bit, actually. That's why it pains me that there's so very little decent modern fantasy available, and the bits that are available are usually geared toward the youth audience.

I had heard good things about 'Skulduggery Pleasant;' better at least than the somewhat similarly targeted Artemis Fowl books (which I took an intense disliking to for numerous reasons, the greatest of which was that there doesn't appear to be an end in sight to the series). And I will say that I liked 'SP' better than the Artemis Fowl stuff, but it still didn't entertain me enough where I would want to continue reading the series.

The main female character seems to be awfully physically, emotionally and mentally mature for a twelve year-old; as a parent of two young girls myself, this really was a verisimilitude breaker for me. The story itself moved along at a brisk (if unbelievable) pace and was often peppered with banter that seemed very much designed to be turned into a screenplay (given that Landy is a playwright by trade, I made more of an allowance for that sort of thing than normal). The big drawback for me was that this is intended to be an ongoing (without any guess at when it will end) series and was written as such; I simply don't have it in me anymore to read book upon book only to discover that I don't like where the writing or plot is going.
What's this?