Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

3.0 out of 5 stars Great film, questionable DVD package, September 12, 2007
This review is from: Help! (Deluxe Edition) (DVD)
Everyone knows the film and loves it, that's why we're here checking it out on this page. But what about this DVD package? If you look at the price, you have to question is it really worth it.

When I first read about the Deluxe Edition, I thought the price would be around $50 like most other Deluxe Edition DVDs out there. At $95, this is way too much for what they're offering. Yes, you get all this:

- a reproduction of Richard Lester s original annotated script

- 8 lobby cards

- poster

- 60-page book with rarely seen photographs and production notes from the movie

... but unless they are signed by at least one Beatle, I wouldn't pay that much. Yes, Richard Lester's annotated script is great, but wait awhile and you'll probably find a reproduction online sometime. The lobby cards and poster are great, but those are not the main reasons for the price inflation. The 60 page book would seem to be the main reason for the price hike, but look at other Beatles books out there. The paperback version of The Beatles Anthology has 368 pages, weighs 2.2 pounds, and has over 1,300 photographs. The price? LESS THAN A THIRD of what this Deluxe Edition of Help is going for.

Yes, all these extras are nice, but it's not worth the price, and I'm a huge Beatles nut who buys everything they make. At this moment, I'm going to buy the regular edition which has been restored with great picture and a 5.1 soundtrack. Plus, the second disk has great extras (could be better if they had Paul or Ringo commenting) that will suffice. Especially for the price.

Drop the price on this Deluxe Edition, guys. If you do that, people will buy.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 14, 2007, 8:08:52 PM PDT
yojimbo says:
I agree. A copy of the script? Anyone old enough to care probably has it memorized. I'm trying to picture it in a DVD package and I can easily see myself with a magnifying glass to read the 6 pt. font under a flood light. No offense to Richard Lester but $95? I'll bet the script is released in book form later at a much lower price. Then again, where there's money to be made... Thank the gods that this is finally being released on DVD, but resist the urge to line someone's pockets for the overpriced deluxe edition.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2007, 1:17:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2007, 1:19:15 PM PDT
Mike Tiano says:
Buyer beware, if you care about the original aspect ratio.

Amazon lists the standard version as 1:33 (fullscreen) and the deluxe version as 1:75 (original aspect ratio).

So sounds like you're forced to pay a lot more if you don't want it fullscreen, regardless of whether you think the extras are worth it.

Posted on Oct 8, 2007, 5:13:31 PM PDT
I see where all the private dealers have brought the original DVD down to $8 after seeking $150 for the last few years. Perhaps now is the time to invest in a perfectly good copy of a film that stands by itself.

Posted on Oct 12, 2007, 9:56:39 PM PDT
Lee LaFarge says:
I couldn't agree more. I've been a fan since 1964, and I've bought virtually everything labeled Beatles you can think of. $95 is just too much, and if the standard version is really in full screen aspect, smacks of rip-off!

Posted on Oct 17, 2007, 12:14:25 AM PDT
I guess I just don't seem to care what the price is. When the Anthology book came out it was not a third of the price of the current DVD. I paid over $75 for certain but, I bought it on the first day. Like I said...I guess I just don't care about cost. Maybe that's why we're in debt...

Posted on Oct 24, 2007, 9:01:31 AM PDT
As they said back in the day,"Don't believe the hype" I agree that the deluxe edition, with all the blah,blah,blah will be available used soon enough. I think your review nailed it!

Posted on Oct 29, 2007, 4:19:45 PM PDT
D. Hartley says:
If you have cable, here's how I just saved $135 (what a scam!):

The Sundance channel just aired the new restored version (letterboxed) and will be playing it several more times in early November. I just archived a copy off my DVR via my DVD recorder.

Cost: About 25 cents (cost of a blank DVD disc).

Sure, picture quality will be somewhat better on the actual studio-issued DVD, but it's the same new restored version of "Help!". The audio on the Sundance Channel airing sounds fantastic (sounds like they did a much better job mixing the music than they did on the "Hard Day's Night" DVD, which was atrocious).

Just my 25 cents worth...

Cheers

Posted on Nov 7, 2007, 8:27:27 PM PST
Cheapskates the lot of you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2007, 7:20:08 AM PST
Walter Five says:
Cassman, you're *exactly* the sort of sucker they're marketing to. How does it feel, being a mark?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2007, 12:26:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2007, 12:32:50 PM PST
Considering this review was written 2 months before the release and you having NO idea what the final result would be, I think it was worth every penny. The package was done with care and class. The reproductions are great, the book is full of new unreleased photo's. That being said, as a collector of Beatles memorabilia for over 30 years, I will continue to purchase "Official Beatles/Apple/Capitol" as it is released. I don't feel like a mark. I feel like a grateful fan.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›