Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful documentary!, August 3, 2012
This review is from: The Queen of Versailles (DVD)
I drove 4 hours roundtrip yesterday to see "The Queen of Versailles", which I had been looking forward to since reading of it months ago. I was certain it would be worth the trip, and indeed it was! Lauren Greenfield fascinatingly captured the Siegel family as they were living life large with all the unimaginable tacky extravagances that the self made couple with "new money" thought would make them look important and elegant. The marriage was built on shifting sand ... Jackie was his trophy wife ... David was her trophy husband. She popped out 7 kids once she realized she could have several nannies to take care of them. Poor kids. The 90,000 sq. ft. Versailles was under construction when the bottom dropped out of the real estate market, so they had to halt construction on that and make do in their 26,000 sq. ft. house. The story only gets more crazy from there on out. I had told my friend who went with me that this movie was a documentary, but afterwards she asked if those were actors and actresses and was it a true story, because she couldn't conceive that there were real people on the planet who would act that way intentionally. Yes, my jaw dropped often; yes, my eyes rolled often; yes, I laughed out loud often ... I was mesmerized with the totality of it and can highly recommend that you see it. I have already placed my pre-order for the DVD coming out in November.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 24, 2012, 8:22:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 24, 2012, 8:23:03 AM PDT
Racerkat says:
I saw the preview of this movie which was being shown at a local art house theatre, but unfortunately the run was over before we could get there - that preview, coupled with the above review, has convinced me that I must have the DVD.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012, 2:58:13 PM PST
None says:
I just finished watching it on Amazon Prime. I appreciate your review the most out of the handful I have read. You probably went into more detail than you needed to with regard to the events, but I was happy to see you left all your personal judgments out.

I do not care for reality T.V. shows and seldom watch films. I could not stop watching this one.

To anyone that has not seen it yet, watch it with an open mind. Do not bring political bias or your hate of rich people with you. There is time to Google this crook and how he made his fortune when you are done. Just absorb the craziness and personality types.

Some people will never be happy. There are some people that always want more, but have to realize there is always going to be someone richer, faster, or better looking. Even the people that just want to focus on personal relationships cannot have guaranteed happiness. You can be as open to possible and push as much as you want, but some people will never open up to you. There is no guarantee of being happy or safe.

Now if you will excuse me, I have a great deal of self-evaluation to do. It is rare that a film/documentary has this effect on me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012, 3:47:15 PM PST
I was interested to read your thoughtful comment just now. We will be watching my DVD of the film with my best friend and her hubby this week. To me, it still fascinates even after repeated viewings. My main interest at first was the character studies, but lately my focus has been on the hollowness, the shallowness, the emptiness of what the Siegel family regarded as happiness. There is sadness behind their smiles ... I can almost see it. Despite my meager means and by the grace of God, I am far richer than they'll ever be in what really matters ... so I envy them not a whit. I continue to highly recommend this fascinating documentary.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013, 8:46:35 PM PST
If i weren't already sold on this movie your post would have done it for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013, 7:03:30 AM PST
Thanks for saying so! :-) I never tire of watching this fascinating movie.

Posted on Mar 28, 2013, 11:31:35 PM PDT
MOST IMPORTANT Mr. Siegel "Then I personally got George W. Bush elected, maybe if I hadn't we wouldn't have had a war in Iraq". Then several beats, interviewer asks "how did you get (GWB) elected"? "I can't really talk about it because its illegal probably". Mr. Siegel is no more excited about this than he is building the U.S. largest home. Between watching that scene and then finding out all his billions were made selling time shares, one of the worlds worst investments. I got to say he is a pretty evil dude.

I did think it was funny that after they start to go broke and have to drop their staff from 19 down to 4 child care providers. They keep walking in dog crap because, they apparently never house trained all 8-10 of the dogs. Truly white trash with billions of dollars.

Its funny how Rush Limbaugh and all of those newly rich people in FL have the same horrible sense of style. Do they all read the same magazines?

LASTLY I WAS IMPRESSED AND SHOCKED AT THE AMOUNT OF ACCESS GRANTED TO THE FILM MAKER. JUST BRILLIANT AT BEING A TOTAL FLY ON THE WALL, APPARENTLY SO TALENTED WAS THE DIRECTOR SHE CAN BECOME INVISIBLE AT WILL! DON'T MISS THIS FILM.

Posted on Apr 30, 2013, 2:07:47 PM PDT
Temteacher says:
I agree with Judy 100%. This film was shown on Bravo TV in April 2013 with a live interview with Jackie afterward. She states they are back on top of the world again and the construction of Versailles will be complete in about 3 years. Else where I read that David sued the filmarker for some things shown on the film related to his business interests, but the judge threw the case out. It truly is amazing that the couple allowed all the intimate filming of their personal lives continue over a number of years.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›