Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 STEM Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

4.0 out of 5 stars If you liked the album, you'll love the concert!, March 24, 2005
This review is from: The Clarence Greenwood Recordings (Audio CD)
I'm very fortunate to live in the NYC - Philly - D.C. corridor, and therefore Citizen Cope's music is played extensively on the alternative music stations, such as the University of Pennsylvania's WXPN and other area radio stations.

When I first heard Citizen Cope's music, I was immediately aware that I was listening to something different: this was someone with that "certain something" that sets him apart from the rest of the crowd. Citizen Cope, also known as Clarence Greenwood, has something to say, and he says it with a unique and compelling style. His gritty persona is real, to which I can attest after seeing him live in Baltimore last Saturday night.

Clarence has very devoted fans who know his song lyrics by heart, and sang along with him almost the entire concert, so much so that at a few points during the concert, he could actually take a break from singing! And talk about energy, everyone was moving along with the flow of the music and dancing all night long.

I have seen many great bands and artists over many years' time. Most of us seem to know when we are in the presence of a great talent when we see one, and Clarence is no exception. I can honestly say that this guy reminds me of a young Bob Dylan, but with a much better voice. His band was very talented as well - a very diverse and tight ensemble of rock/blues/R&B style musicians.

I feel fortunate to have seen Clarence live at such an early stage of his career, and I was only five rows of people away from the stage (yes, it was standing room only in that packed concert hall). This will change in time, as he becomes better well-known...I'll never be that close again.

Not only do I recommend this album to everyone reading this review, I also urge you to see Citizen Cope live. Just as we in the crowd were caught up in the emotionally compelling energy of this truly talented artist, so will you enjoy the feeling of experiencing one of the most enjoyable bands you will ever see.

Do yourself a favor and buy this album.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]