Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent High Value LG Smart HDTV!!, April 26, 2012
This review is from: LG 47LM6200 47-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 120Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV and Six Pairs of 3D Glasses (2012 Model) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The LG 47LM 6200 LED edge lit LCD HDTV is perhaps the best current value on the market today! With a razor sharp crystal clear picture, the absolute BEST 3D passive system available and wireless connectivity coupled with web browsing and limitless apps and 3rd party video content providers, you just can't beat it!

I find a 47 inch HDTV to have the SHARPEST picture obtainable. The larger the screen, the farther apart the pixels are placed and the less cohesive the image becomes. Unless you plan to sit 10 ft or so away from your television I honestly think a 55 inch screen doesn't provide the best picture quality. Perhaps when OLED displays with 4k tech become the norm that will change. But for now, all 3 of my LG flat panels are 47 inch and for a good reason.

Let's start with the picture quality. The video 'engine' inside provides you with a beautiful 1080p rendering from any source component. Whether it is your HD DVR , your Blu Ray Player, or your Standard DVD or even VHS machine, the LG 6200 will up-convert your video signal and present you with the best possible rendering. The color decoders LG provides are top notch. With just a small amount of user calibration you can dial in near perfect color rendering and with the correct backlight/contrast/brightness settings you can obtain previously unheard of contrast ratios that look GREAT in any amount of light.

Don't even get me started on passive 3D. For me, it is the only way to watch 3D. No eye strain, no heavy expensive glasses and a fully enveloping, crystal clear viewing experience. And LG has passive 3D down to a science. It is the very best I have seen. Period! (the 6 pairs of included 3D glasses don't hurt one little bit either!)

I can honestly say that a television with this picture quality and feature set would have cost 10 thousand dollars or more just 6 years ago, had it been available then. Build quality, by the way, is excellent. There is nothing cheap or flimsy about this TV in any way. From the HDMI connectors to the included stand it is quality all the way. Just about the only thing I can possibly complain about is the power cable which is attached, but my higher priced LG 7600 also has that little niggle. (in fact, MOST TV's do)

The included web browser and user apps, coupled with the vast array of premium content, You Tube accessibility and more makes this an 'All in One' entertainment center. Use the included magic remote in the same way you would a Wii game controller. The cool factor is high with this LG! Don't forget about wireless connectivity to your internet router. (Look Ma, no wires) Really, it is amazing what you get for your money with this 6200.

I recently purchased their new 7600 which is 2 models up from this one. The only major difference is a slightly different bezel and cabinet styling, plus the 6200 gives you a 120hz refresh rate, verse the 240hz rate of my 7600. Nine times out of ten the average person simply can not SEE the difference between those two refresh rats and let's face it, a 120hz rate is TWICE AS GOOD in that critical department as our old school CRT tube televisions were. The visual quality of the edge lit back-lighting is spectacular and in my opinion LG has edge lit LED TV's nailed! My 7600 has quasi local dimming that LG calls 'LED Plus', but honestly in almost every real world situation it is NOT a necessary thing to get excellent performance out of an edge lit set. And believe me, this 6200 gives you TOP edge lit performance, of that there can be no doubt at all. If you can afford to spend another 2 thousand dollars on a full array local dimming LED TV then by all means do so, but if you are looking for the best value and picture in a very thin edge lit HDTV, then LG is simply the best in that department bar none!

I was just watching a PAL Columbo DVD (an old 1971 episode) and was thinking to myself about how great this TV can handle standard DVD resolution. A good trick is to engage the Mpeg Noise reduction to the "LOW" setting (found in the Picture options sub menu) and make sure your super resolution is turned on. I have been able to get near HD results from standard DVD'd doing this. Great digital tool box in this TV and at no extra charge!

I am a huge LG supporter. This is the 3rd LG LED 47 inch TV in 2 years. I have been impressed since day one with both the picture quality, amount of features and mature well thought out software implementation provided. The functionality and maturity of the software control systems are a MAJOR plus with LG. This is not a Beta tester product. Everything has been well thought out and executed to give you the highest quality performance. Things work the way they should, due largely to extensive research and development and TESTING on LG's part BEFORE they ship their products to you.

Bottom line: This LG looks, sounds and works the way you WANT it to!
At the current price, the LG 47LM6200 represents one of the very top values in HDTV today. Read my caveats at the very end of this review, but otherwise you just can't beat this TV for the price. IT currently resides in the master bedroom , connected to a Fios HD DVR and Oppo Blu Ray player but could easily be the center of ANY living room entertainment center or home theater set-up. I truly believe it smokes the competition and as such I recommend it very highly!
*** Check customer images for a few PICS I uploaded showing how this TV looks in the 'real world' !

In the interest of full disclosure and fair play I am going to include a small list of shortcomings that befall ALL edge lit HDTV's. This is the same thing I posted at the end of my LG 7600 review and it is also applicable to THIS model.

PLEASE READ ON IF YOU ARE TECHNICALLY MINDED and SUPER PICKY about your VIDEO:
***A word about Flashlighting, Vertical Banding, Clouding and Dirty Screen Effect. These are the artifacts or 'defects' that plague ALL edge lit LCD/LED panels. Some brands are better than others for keeping them at bay. The exact same model of TV may vary widely from unit to unit. My TV may have more artifacts present while another may not.

Basically you need to evaluate your own TV for what you might consider an 'acceptable' level of any or all of these things. By the very nature of an edge lit displays design you just can not escape this, but manufacturing tolerances vary greatly and although you may need to possibly return one or more units you can eventually end up with one you can live with.

The flashlighting on this 6200 is VERY slight, but it IS there and more noticeable during certain types of program material. Keeping your backlight down in the 50-55 range with your contrast in the 85 to 90ish range will GREATLY diminish any flash lighting you may experience. On horizontal pans of light background material you WILL see Vertical banding of varying degrees. I also have SOME dirty screen effect (Google it) and just a BIT of clouding depending on the program material. This is NOT a product defect, but to be expected with an edge lit LED HDTV. Again, it is very slight and not overly noticeable to most people.

Just be aware that ALL these things are inherent in Edge Lit displays. If you just can't live with them (in my case, hardly ANY but still....) then you need to consider a plasma or a full array backlit LCD/LED not an edge lit TV. Also, THOSE types of TVs ALSO have problems, just different ones. (halos, screen uniformity issues, stuck pixels, buzzing, excess heat, burn in, etc.)

BOTTOM LINE: With the exception of possibly the new Sharp ELITE models ( more than 5k to start) there is currently no such thing as a perfect display. Do not set your expectations higher than the technology will allow for. I am VERY pleased with this 6200. It offers an increased level of fine detail that was not present in my Pioneer Kuro Plasma from 4 years ago. The picture quality is on par with my LG 7600 , a TV costing a good 400 dollars more. The color accuracy is REALLY good and motion handling extremely good!

A word about adjusting your picture: As a rule of thumb, RESIST THE URGE to put your backlight to 100! The mistake many people make while trying to get a good picture is not understanding how to properly find the 'sweet spot' on their TV settings. You want to leave yourself plenty of 'headroom' and not clip the visual dynamic range and end up with everything looking positively radioactive!

Put your backlight down around 50 and crank up the contrast to around 85 , and play with your brightness control so that things are neither too dark or washed out. The more brightness you use, the more color intensity is needed, but adjust them in SMALL increments and test them on all types of material. Your cable box/dvr will need a different setting from your Blu Ray player. Every device sends a differently calibrated signal with different ideas of what constitutes a 'nominal' value. I STRONGLY urge you to invest in the Disney Worlds of Wonder, Digital Video Essentials or the Spears and Munsil calibration disc. Do the best job you can , then let the electronics 'burn in' for around 100 hours or so and do it again. It is a tedious process but you will be rewarded with the best picture quality on your block and a much more enjoyable viewing experience! I am currently enjoying overall the BEST picture on ANY HDTV I have ever owned and can thank the Spears and Munsil disc for much of it.

**As always, there ARE a small % of tech failures in electronics and purchasing an extended warranty would be a smart move as no matter how expensive something is, electronics DO fail and at the worst possible times.

Thanks for reading my review and ENJOY your new LG 6200. For the money, it can not be beat! Seriously!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 13 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 21-30 of 198 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 6:03:44 PM PDT
Marty Gillis says:
Hey that's GREAT F. Terling ! Hopefully you have a large room and can sit far enough back not to see the pixels! 65 is pretty massive ! WOW! ENJOY ! Cheers! Marty G

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 6:17:38 PM PDT
F. Terling says:
well the main reason I was debating because I would like the larger size, it just so happens my room would probably be a terrible place for it, but I'm moving into like a basement apartment that has a fine living room area, so the viewing distance hopefully should be quite ideal. Now I just need to look into some good speakers that would go with a 7.1 surround system, I will have a sony 7.1 receiver soon but atm I don't have any speakers for it. I went to the local best buy and some of the speakers they have are monstrous(and half the price of the TV no thanks!) I would like a good speaker system but I wouldn't see why I would had to spend $1000 on speakers alone. If you have any advice or suggestions by all means!

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 11:07:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2012 11:13:12 PM PDT
Parts Express sells here on Amazon and on there website. The carry the wonderful BIC speaker system and others for really great prices. I have own this brand since the beginning of the seventies. Parts Express has great customer service. With the very tall 3 way floor speaker(banana plugs in the back for hook-up) with a 16" woofer these put out massive good enough NOT to have to buy a Sub-Woofer. Check it out you will be very surprise how reasonable there prices are here on Amazon or on there site. Goodluck!

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 7:40:24 AM PDT
F. Terling says:
thank you I often have trouble finding a variety of speakers by themselves I will definitely look into Parts Express!

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 8:05:45 AM PDT
Marty Gillis says:
Thought I would chime in on the speaker discussion. My preference would be to find some discontinued Klipsch speakers. Even their small, inexpensive speakers should provide excellent performance for a small home theater setup. I have large Klipsch all the way around and it is just like going to the movies , only better. They were pricey and I had to buy each speaker one by one , taking 6 months to complete the entire system but I have been enjoying them now for 3 years. AND they have a full 5 year warranty if you buy them new, discontinued models or not. You may wish to check out the huge selection of Klipsch on Amazon. Cheers! Marty G

Posted on May 21, 2012 9:27:47 AM PDT
F. Terling says:
any particuliar receiver do you recommend, as I mentioned I said i wanted a 7.1, the one i am currently looking at is Sony STRDH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver (Black) but there is alittle another model that is 7.2 that is all banana plugs which i hear is easier to handle it definitely looks nicer then shoving pure wire into something. I do like the sonys, I am mostly looking for in that regard a 7.1 reciever that has atleast 4 hdmi inputs. I don't see why you would need a 7.2 unless you REALLY want that boom which might be nice but I don't know? also on that note do I need to worry about speaker compatibility with the receiver or will pretty much most speakers work ?

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 10:37:59 AM PDT
Marty Gillis says:
Make sure the amp and speakers have the same OHM rating. (typically 8 ohms) Also, as far as amp brands go, the best you could do for an amp would probably be a 5 or 7.1 Denon (in my opinion) and you wouldn't need to get a new model, but something discontinued that still decodes both DTS Master Audio and Dolby Tru HD........ It is always best to build your system around the very best amp you can possibly get and unless you shell out for a Sony ES series amp, Sony really is not much these days as far as quality goes. It is better to have quality gear than to have 'the latest thing' and there is nothing wrong with last years model or even earlier. Except for my TV's , all my gear is pretty much discontinued models that I got excellent bargains on and enjoy just as much as the latest model. Good luck! Cheers! Marty G

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 10:56:59 AM PDT
F. Terling says:
I can agree with you on sony's quality hence why I was originally buying a sony 55" LED 3D Tv and decided to switch up to an LG, would you happen to have a link to a denon receiver you specifically recommend?

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 1:20:15 PM PDT
Marty Gillis says:
Basically ANY Denon will do if it has the features you want and the power rating you need. Mine gives me 110 Watts RMS X 7 and I use two self powered Klipsch subwoofers. I ended up paying only $599 for a 1200 dollar receiver because it was a few years behind the current product line, but since it was new and from an authorized Denon seller I enjoyed the full warranty period.
Here is a place to start: Denon AVR-1712 A/V Surround Receiver (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

For under 400 dollars you get full HDMI connectivity, 90 watts RMS X 7 (plenty of power for most home systems) and both DTS and Dolby HD audio decoding. If you need 3D pass thru then you may need to spend just a bit more. You simply can not go wrong with Denon as long as you make sure the seller is an authorized reseller of Denon goods and you can check this out for yourself on the Denon site.

Bottom line is: If you do your homework fully before purchasing, you can end up with a killer system for less money than you might think and one of high quality too! Check out my Denon and Klipsch system here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B0035FZ14M/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_all The first picture is before I got my latest LG TV and the 2nd is with both the new TV and an added subwoofer. It took me a good 5 years to put all this together piece by piece but I am now in movie heaven! Good Luck! Cheers! Marty G

Posted on May 23, 2012 2:09:43 PM PDT
Chris Nett says:
Hi, Marty -- thank you for the excellent in-depth review. I am curious if this (or any other LG models) have digital audio passthrough. I have an older (okay, OLD) Sony receiver that doesn't have any HDMI support, so what I'd like to do is run my STB, Bluray, and Xbox 360 into the TV via HDMI, and (hopefully) have the audio pass through from those HDMI inputs to the TV's optical audio output. I currently have an older Samsung LCD TV that does not have this feature, and it is sorely missed. Thanks!