Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, well integrated controller extension, December 15, 2008
This review is from: PS3 Wireless Keypad (Video Game)
The following are my conclusions and observations following several hours of testing. It is possible that I missed a feature or two but I am quite confident that I was able to test all the major ones.

The setup and first impressions:
-------------------------------
I don't know why, I imagined a bigger device. I am pleased to note that the keypad is a lot thinner than I imagined - about half an inch thick and pretty light.

It fits nicely on top of any standard PS3 controller thanks to a clamp that, once it clicks in, it makes the keypad appear as if it was part of the controller's body. The three controller buttons that it covers: PS3, Select and Start are present on the pad at their expected locations but they only work when the keypad is attached to the controller. All other buttons work regardless of the keypad being attached or detached.

The keyboard is okay but it's better suited for larger hands (or long thumbs). As a Blackberry user, I find this keyboard less comfortable than that of a classic Blackberry - but I've been using Blackberies for almost 10 years already so I may be a little bit spoiled or maybe biased toward their ergonomics.

As far as workmanship is concerned, my impression is one of a well-built, durable device. It integrates well, visually and functionally with the PS3 controllers.

The setup:
----------
After a couple of hours of charging through the USB port (cable not included), the keypad is ready to use. Once the On/Off switch is set to On, all that's needed is for the keypad to be connected to the PS3 through a USB cable and the pairing is done automatically.

The workings:
-------------
The keypad operates in two modes: as a keyboard or, interestingly, as a touch pad.

In keyboard mode, you get a QWERTY keyboard with well separated, round little keys. The letters, numeric and punctuation keys are where you would expect them to be but the special keys are not exactly at their familiar places and some of the less essential ones (PgUp, PgDn, End, Home and the function keys) are missing. Special characters can be entered with the help of 2 modifier keys (the Blue and the Orange).

Three special keys allow you to enable the touch pad mode or quickly jump to your PS3 message box or friends list icons - I did not find the last 2 very useful.

Until you make yourself familiar with some of the less obvious key combinations it's a good idea to save the instructions pamphlet (a 17"x11" folded sheet) found in the package.

The touch pad mode is very interesting in that, after pressing the 'touch pad key', the keyboard is disabled and a section of the keyboard emulates a laptop's touch pad and the 2 cursor keys emulate mouse buttons and you can interact with your environment as if you were using a mouse.

I am a 'knob' person as far as mouse emulation is concerned but, based on my testing, the touch pad mode, while interesting and innovative, is not very well implemented. For example, while in Browser mode, it does not allow you to scroll down your browser window, something that is easily and intuitively accomplished with the R3/L3 analog sticks. The cursor, when controlled with the touch pad was jumpy, either moving from one corner of the window to another or, sometimes, not moving at all. The good news is that all the controller buttons, including the sticks, are fully functional all the time so, people like me, won't have to use the touch pad.

Brief evaluation:
-----------------
+ Bluetooth device, does not require dongles or wires
+ Replaces a full-size keyboard, well suited for entering passwords or brief messages
+ Perfectly integrated, physically and functionally with the PS3 controller - generally, it does not interfere with game play
+ Rechargeable battery
+ According to Sony (not tested by me) it can be paired with other Bluetooth devices (don't lose that manual)

- Adds weight to the controller
- Some of the special keys are placed at unfamiliar locations
- Keys 'real estate' wasted by assigning 2 keys to jump to the message box and the friends list
- Touch pad does not work very well
- Small hands may find it a bit uncomfortable

Before I started writing this review, I thought I was going to award this keypad 3 stars but, once I listed the pros and the cons I see that the negatives are relatively minor. The major disappointment is the touch pad but it's not something that I am going to miss because I am already happy with the R3/L3. 3.5 stars should be the fair score but I am rounding it up to 4 because my overall impression is positive.

With HOME now a reality, this is likely to become an increasingly useful add-on.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2008, 2:10:35 PM PST
Sirish Kondi says:
Try calibrating the "Touch-Pad". It worked well for me once it was calibrated.

Posted on Dec 18, 2008, 2:54:42 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 18, 2008, 2:55:00 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2008, 6:26:37 PM PST
Cthulhu says:
Sirish,

I calibrated it several times but I can't see that it went any better. Like I said in my review, I do not like using touch pads because I've been using Thinkpad laptops that come with those nice, little knobs in the middle of the keyboard for many years. But, my dislike aside, the touch pad on this device wasn't as good as any 'smooth' equivalent you find on laptops and on some full-size keyboards. This is understandable, given that you are sliding your finger over a keyboard. Somehow, controlling the cursor with the joysticks comes to me naturally so I'm not upset because the touch pad doesn't work well and I doubt I would have used it even if it worked well. Anyways, I rated this device 4 stars which is a very good rating. I am quite pleased with it so far.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2008, 3:31:51 PM PST
VideoReborn says:
Does this keypad work for other bluetooth devices such as cell phones and PCs? I might want to use it for my Nokia N95 8GB too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2008, 4:43:11 PM PST
Cthulhu says:
C. Law,

Sony claims that you should be able to pair it with other Bluetooth devices. I have not personally tested that claim.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2009, 4:19:35 PM PST
VideoReborn says:
I wasn't able to use it as a keypad for my nokia n95 8gb. But it works perfectly well for my notebook PC. I can use both keypad and touch pad features. I just don't like the keypad doesn't have a up/down button without holding the Blue button.

Posted on Jun 29, 2010, 7:34:27 PM PDT
Thank you so much for this review, I read it aloud to my boyfriend. He's been wanting me to purchase this item for him. I thought for sure if I bought it for him he would never use it. But after reading this review I am going to buy it for his birthday. Thank you again for your thorough analysis of this Sony Product.

Posted on Jul 4, 2011, 8:24:33 PM PDT
Facelord says:
trololol Home

As soon as I get a PS3 I'm getting one of these. I'm a PC gamer normally but the PS3 totally appeals to me, I'd want to at least try to trick myself into thinking that the console is comparable to my PC if I got it.

Posted on Dec 5, 2011, 7:29:02 AM PST
Anthony L says:
I noticed that all of the pictures that are available do not show the controller + keyboard from a top down view. Could you tell me if the location of the outer left and right sides of the keypad impede the functionality of the R1/R2 L1/L2 trigger keys at all? Thanks!

Posted on Feb 18, 2014, 4:37:07 PM PST
steven says:
amazing review also one of your cons is a pro for me XD. i like the added weight
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Cthulhu
(#1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Location: Minas Anor, GD