Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing, December 26, 2013
This review is from: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Okay, big time talk, folks. My family and I went to see this movie on Christmas Day. I must tell you, I have never been so floored by a movie in all my life. It's the kind of experience I was expecting to get from Gravity and didn't. I was shocked. This is partly due to the fact that I am not the world's biggest Ben Stiller fan. Slapstick comedy is a delicate thing for me, and I certainly don't enjoy it if I am watching the comedian copy someone else's decade's old jokes (which is more often the case then not).

This movie is a work of art. The critics hated it. It is a true journey of heart, mind, and soul, and the movie is not simply about a man that wants the attention of this one girl. It's about a man waking up and experiencing life after having put it to the side for years to do the right thing for his family. Amazingly cast. Floored (and astonished) by Ben Stiller's acting and direction. I give this an 8.5 on IMDb, and that's more than I gave Temple Grandin. I will have to own this one (which means shell out good money for the bluray), and I'm guessing I'll end up buying many copies, as I did for Time Traveler's Wife (the book, not the horrible movie) because I must give a copy to everyone that hasn't experienced it.

Do yourself a favor and go with someone that will sink into it and give it the respect it deserves, or go on your own and be awakened. Am pretty sure I will be going back to see this again while it's still in the theatre.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 29, 2013, 10:31:53 AM PST
Very good review. I liked your description of the acting.
Has it motivated you to go to Iceland?

Posted on Mar 10, 2014, 9:28:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2014, 9:28:38 AM PDT
T. Lewis says:
I can't believe you mentioned Temple Grandin... no one ever talks about that great movie! Just curious, out of all the great movies you could have referenced, what made you choose that one? I really wish they would release it on blu ray. If you liked Temple Grandin then I will watch Walter Mitty based on your review.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2014, 9:59:13 AM PDT
Jessica J. says:
Thanks! I picked out Temple Grandin because I was also highly doubtful of that movie based on the actors and production. Frankly, I didn't know that Claire Danes COULD act. Makes me disappointed in the fact that she keeps doing crap. Was a fabulous movie that took me by surprise. This one was the same.

Posted on Mar 28, 2014, 3:15:40 PM PDT
Elisha Cox says:
Great review. I too really loved this film, and feel it should have been nominated for some awards at the Oscars. Funny you mentioned Temple Grandin. I checked that out from the library a couple years ago, because my wife thought it looked interesting. We really loved it. Claire Danes was so unrecognizable I forgot it was her. LOL!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2014, 3:24:54 PM PDT
Jessica J. says:
I love it when talent surprises me. :-)

Posted on Apr 3, 2014, 3:29:25 PM PDT
IronAged says:
Thanks for your review. I took your advice and didn't even read the critics reviews. After seeing the trailer and reading yours and a few other reviews I decided I'd break my golden rule (wait for Amazon to rent it for 4 bucks instead of buying it at full price) and bought it because it just looked like it was gonna be so darned good. And it was.

Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2014, 4:49:52 PM PDT
Jessica J. says:
I'm so glad it helped you and that you liked it!

Posted on Apr 5, 2014, 8:36:49 PM PDT
Annie says:
I totally agree. Just added a review myself and bought the movie. Critics are clueless idiots lately

Posted on Apr 27, 2014, 4:45:25 AM PDT
I totally agree. All I can add to this comment is... WATCH IT!!! ;-)

Posted on Apr 27, 2014, 6:53:14 AM PDT
I just watched this yesterday....and loved it...reading the reviews by critics....maybe they need to get a life and realize there is a little of "Walter Mitty" in all of us....who hasn't daydreamed of being an exciting, dynamic hero? But as Thoreau wrote, "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation". I believe this is the description of most movie critics, who look for things to disparage instead of just enjoying the movie and the popcorn.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›