Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy These Speakers NOW!, June 27, 2007
This review is from: Yamaha NS-AW150WH 2-Way Indoor/Outdoor Speakers (Pair, White) (Electronics)
After doing a ton of research on outdoor speakers, I finally settled on these Yamahas, mainly because the price was so ridiculously low ($59.95 for the pair, including mounting hardware) that I felt I couldn't go wrong, especially since my next choice (Polk) would have cost me nearly twice as much.

I mounted these babies on the back wall of my house, about four feet apart, just under the eave, so that they pointed out at the deck. Although the mounting brackets are included, Yamaha does NOT include any screws to secure these brackets to the wall. I ended up using some 2-1/2 inch long wood screws...but your application may differ depending on how or with what your house is sided.

Yamaha also does NOT include speaker cable. I used some cheap 12-gauge stuff from Best Buy but 14 or 16-gauge lamp cord (also known as zip cord) from any hardware store will work just as well. Seeing as the speakers will be outside, I don't recommend the usual cheap, thin speaker cable that you normally see. Use the heavy stuff.

I hooked the Yamahas up to a Marantz 2240B receiver from the '70s and good God almighty, the sound is absolutely fantastic! Bass, you ask? The bass was so powerful, I had to turn the loudness control OFF! It seems that the location of the speakers up by the eave serves to reinforce the bass quite well, thank you.

Midrange comes through great. Both male and female vocals, as well as rock band stuff, is crystal clear. Nice highs as well. This system sounded so good that we ended up sitting outside until well after dark.

For something to sound as good as these speakers do, for as little money as I had to shell out, is absolutely fantastic. Highly recommended.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 19, 2012, 10:03:23 AM PDT
G. Ray says:
They may be fine speakers but my Amazon search was for wireless speakers. These need cable?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012, 8:24:14 PM PDT
Dan says:
they are outdoor WIRED speakers, yes

Posted on Sep 10, 2012, 6:06:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 10, 2012, 6:08:28 PM PDT
You seem to be knowledgeable with speakers. How would you compare these to say a pair of nice (Rockford Fosgate) 6x9's in larger wood enclosures (not the shallow truck boxes)? I currently have some 6x9's but I'm looking to drop some weight and size and go with these. I don't want to give up performance, however.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2013, 7:50:54 PM PDT
Joe Hyland says:
The Rockford Fosgates are a much better speaker simply because of the enclosure.
The enclosure of the Yamaha speakers although very good and weather tight does not process the sound quality of a wood enclosure..Remember though you can oversize an enclosure that will have a negative effect on any speaker..Do your homework and the Fosgates will not let you down..

Posted on May 21, 2014, 5:10:01 PM PDT
R. Wright says:
Thanks for taking the time to report. My old Marantz 2240 finally quit and I gave up on it, lol. I am going to buy a pair of these as remote speaker pair #4, each powered by a separate Lepai TA2020 2X20 watt amplifier.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2014, 5:13:15 PM PDT
R. Wright says:
I ordered wireless rocks but then cancelled and came back around to these. Wireless either need charging or 125v outlet. The rocks are cute. I didn't want to crawl in the attic, but concluded that as outside speaker pair #3 on the front of the house I just as well pull another pair of wires and put them under the eave.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›