Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but has design flaws., October 3, 2011
This review is from: Dyson DC41 Animal Bagless Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen)
The DC41 is a great product and is probably the best vacuum out there. But that hasn't stopped me from noticing a few defects. There are really 2 major ones that nearly made me return this product.
The first issue is that they got rid of the foot lever that typical vacuums have to engage the beater bar. Instead you just force it down and start vacuuming and when you are done you just put it back up and it latches and stays upright. This is pretty neat but when you are putting it upright there are 2 distinct things that happen, it engages the wand hose and then it engages the lock that holds it up. The switch for the hose is much louder and happens first so this leads you to believe the vacuum is upright and to let go when it is not latched properly causing it to fall over if you are not quick enough to catch it. This makes me respond by putting it upright much more forcefully then I want to do to something I've bought for nearly $600.
The second main issue is the path the air flows to the motor. There are 3 zones in the canister. The air goes from the outer to the inner getting cleaner as it progresses. The outer one is for big debris and dust, and then air flows through those tiny cyclones on the top and deposits its finer dust in the middle zone. Finally after leaving those cyclones the air goes through the filter (accessible though the top of the canister) and down the inner zone to the motor then finally out through the filter in the ball. The problem with this is that when you empty the canister the dust can and will cross contaminate from the other zones and into the post filter, inner zone. This means next time the vacuum is started it will suck in that dust into the motor and the ball filter.
So here is the story of how I found out about this defect: to test out the DC41 I took it to a house that was very dirty (some parts had not been vacuumed for a year) and vacuumed nearly the whole house. I had to empty the canister 3 times. After the 3rd time the vacuum got clogged (A peppermint in the narrow hose tool) and it activated the thermal cutoff. After learning about the thermal cutoff and what it meant, I took apart the vacuum and cleaned out all the access ports. Also looked at the post motor filter and saw that it was absolutely filthy but the filter in the canister was still white. So the dust was bypassing the canister filter somehow. So I figured it was when I dumped the canister the dust plume went everywhere including back up into the part of canister that is meant to be dust free. That amount of dust can't be good for the motor.
Here are a few more nit picks:
It feels a little harder to navigate then the DC25
I wish it had a light and something to automatically rewind the cord.
Sometimes it feels like it's about to break in my hands.
The hose wand sometimes doesn't extend all the way out of the hose and sometimes causes the airway to be blocked when used. I think the DC25's wand was better.
It does not has a spot for all the tools.
The reason I decided to keep this vacuum is the active base plate, I have a lot of wood flooring in my house and I want to get as much dust up before I use the Swiffer. Using this vacuum I now only have to use one pad each time I clean with the Swiffer instead of several.
And the DC41 will not be facing that dirty house again so it will never be that full of dust again.
Here are few good things about it:
It has great suction.
It survived that dirty house.
Its cord is long enough that I can plug it in anywhere and vacuum the entire floor.
Ultimately I think this is a great vacuum but for $600 I expect the best with no flaws and this has 2 too many flaws for that price. Unfortunately I can't find a better vacuum so I'm stuck with this one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 5, 2011, 8:56:18 AM PDT
CJ says:
When I looked at this vacuum in stores, I had wondered if the dirt would get into the clean air path after the filter because of the airpath setup. When you dump it, dirt gets all over the clean air path and the what is supposed to be the clean part of the bottom lid. The clean-air path is in the center of the dirt bin. This could turn out to be a major flaw with this model, and the fact that Dyson didn't notice this (or fix it) during development is shocking.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2011, 9:24:10 PM PDT
JonoPorter says:
It does get to the clean air path. To mitigate this I have just decided not to empty the bin till its full and wipe it down with a paper tower after each emptying. Not sure if this "fix" will be effective only time will tell.

Posted on Oct 24, 2011, 12:27:25 PM PDT
Bobiboy says:
Wow, the flaw with the filter must be frustrating. I have the Dyson 28 model and am pretty happy with it. Today my wife called me and asked why I didn't buy her the dyson with the ball, she says this 41 model looks the same as the 28 model so she concluded they are the same. Now I compared the two and found that all the ball models are lacking a HEPA filter. Well, the hepa filter + the contamination of the second filter that you encountered are good enough reasons for me to keep my Dyson 28 and the suction is no worse.

Posted on Oct 24, 2011, 2:14:00 PM PDT
N.A says:
So is the cross-contamination flaw is present in all Dyson models, such as the DC33, or is it just exclusive to DC41 ?

Posted on Nov 26, 2011, 7:59:59 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2012, 12:18:39 AM PST
R.S says:
I believe it's exclusive to the DC41 (and DC43 in Canada) because the clean air exit path is located on the bottom of the dust bin. This seems to be a problem only with their new Radial Root Cyclone because it requires clean air to be drawn from the center column of the cyclone either from the bottom or top. I guess due to design limitation on an upright vacuum, they decided to draw the air from the bottom. Their new Ball canisters sold overseas (DC36, DC37, DC39) also uses Radial Root Cyclone but draws the clean air from the top: http://www.dyson.com.au/store/product.asp?product=DC39-MULTIFLOOR

Posted on Feb 13, 2012, 10:45:55 PM PST
Mad Dog says:
Can you explain how the "active" baseplate on this model is superior the the DC25? On the DC25, all I do when vacuuming laminate floors is turn off the beater brush. Is there something special that the active plate on the DC41 does? Thanks.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012, 9:32:20 AM PST