Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

3.0 out of 5 stars Big believer, in cubes ( but not in this set), May 14, 2012
This review is from: eBags Packing Cubes - 3pc Set
I have been using various packing cubes for a number of years. I ordered these as a great way to have a color-coded bag system. At the time of the order I was very frustrated due to lack of data--I was suspicious that the "large" was too big, but I could not see enough product information to tell.

I have just received two sets of these. The "large" is VERY large. You would need to have a VERY large suitcase to make this a logical way to pack, and by putting many different things into one of them, you lose the entire benefit of organization. The other two are the correct sizes and are "ok", but not of the quality of Eagle Creek or Rick Steves (which I didn't expect) or Target--which I was hoping for. If they were all usable sizes, I would keep them, because they would probably do the job adquately.

I will sadly be returning them if they don't charge a big return fee--I really wanted "grasshopper" and "red"!

In general, the correct sizes of packing cubes are the most efficient way to pack! I didn't try them when they first came out because I was afraid I would "lose" all those edges and spaces in between where I could put so much, but the cubes have worked out incredibly well for moving about. It may be less important if you are only going to sleep in one place, but I still use them for that as well because I can organize tops, pants, undies, etc. (and they stay nicely folded). I can still put a few things things in between (like flip-flops, etc.). They also work to compress if you overfill the cube, press down, and pull the zipper closed--You can probably compress an inch if the bag is well packed.

For moving about--there's nothing to match it. No searching for anything--it's all in it's own small "drawers". And going home is so simple; empty as many as it takes and pack your dirty clothes in those and combine clean things. At home, all you have to do is take the correct cubes to the laundry room and sort! Seminar over...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 3, 2013, 7:08:48 PM PDT
Mooly says:
I have traveled to most of the continents and all the states....I just use various sizes of ziplock freezer bags in my luggage. Easy peasy! Airtight, bugtight, cheap.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2013, 9:51:33 PM PDT
Since posting my review, I have refined my cube system until I don't think there is much more that I can do to improve it. I am extremely happy with it. Just got back from a 6-week road trip; 6-weeks in Europe last year--it's working beautifully for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013, 8:55:02 AM PDT
Tell us what it is! What size cubes and how many? How much are you packing for how long? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2013, 9:30:57 PM PDT
Maria, you may not want as much information as you will get, but the true answer to your question lies in a blog post I just completed a first pass at. It covers the philosophy, products, packing configurations, and instructions. Please see: http://nanab-loves-lists.blogspot.com/2013/08/cube-packing-for-almost-everything.html

And let me know here or on my blog if you have any questions. It is likely I would be able to respond most quickly if you commented on here again.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2013, 11:42:50 AM PDT
Thank you so much The blog was a great help. I'm now searching for the Eagle Cubes. Will buy a few to try out. Many thanks for your help. Husband and I are off for a month in Italy with one bag. I've got bad back/neck problems so plan to use a set of wheels with my back pack bag. We used to do a lot of international travel but had no need to limit bags - this will be a new gig for us. Your help is greatly appreciated! maria W

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2013, 1:00:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2013, 1:10:14 PM PDT
Eagle Cubes are usually pretty much the same price everywhere I believe, except my earliest ones I got at The Container Store on their once-a-year sale. Have also gotten them at REI and Amazon.

I sympathize with the your pain--have had similar almost all my life. That's why I got the extremely lightweight bag for my carry-on bag. It's quite tiny, so I am thinking of getting a 19-in. for some trips, but then I would fill it too heavy to lift again.

And EVERYTHING I carry gets on wheels one way or the other--either on the ground, piggy-backing, or resting on the top of the bag as I pull.

I had a very high quality wheeled carry-on I bought especially because it could easily be wheeled down the aisle of any plane, but it was terribly heavy, so after years of sitting in storage I finally let it go recently. It did have a removable wheel section, but even then it was heavy. They make much lighter weight wheeled ones now.

Most wheels add a lot of weight, but the IT luggage lightweight ones have light wheels and mechanism. It may not be durable enough for around the world, but I use it with care and I have never checked it. Don't plan to.

Have a great trip!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2014, 7:43:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2014, 7:43:45 AM PDT
GoodFolk says:
I too was initially disappointed that the Large eBag size was so big - the Large in Eagle Creek's cubes is much smaller.

BUT....fast forward two years, and I do, indeed, have use for the large bag when packing. All the sizes have come in very handy, and the large is not too large, even for a carry on. However, if you aren't packing a lot of clothes (e.g., a one night trip), it is more "organization optimal" to not use the large and go with the two smaller.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2015, 1:25:57 PM PDT
So which ones do you use?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2015, 10:13:01 PM PDT
Most of mine are Eagle Creek. They cost more, but I try to buy them on sale (which sometimes happens once a year). Over time I've built up a collection. Also have some different shaped ones I've picked up here and there.

For details, you might want to go to http://nana-bs-super-travel-packing-tips.blogspot.com/. I wrote that a couple of years ago because people kept asking what I do. It's is very long, but the packing cubes are at the front of the post.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2016, 4:18:21 PM PST
Kat Wolf says:
Would love to know which you would suggest.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›