Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

on September 30, 2008
For those of you who are satisfied with your 18-200 VR. You don't need this lens. I stuck with my f3.5-5.6 zoom for a long time because, heh, I took "good pictures". I adapted to low light, didn't miss f2.8. I was not convinced that a "pro" lens could make any difference visually...only if examining test shots of test patterns with a microscope.

I've been wrong before but this was a doozy. There is SUCH a HUGE visually noticable difference between shots made with this lens (and the 70-200 f2.8 VR) and my old stanby lenses that I about fell out of my office chair. My "good pictures" have become "great photographs". I now own both this and the 70-200. I sold my favorite lens of all time, a 24 mm prime, on a website. I'll never go back. You will get these two lenses from me when you pry them out of my cold dead fingers.

One more note. If you are like me and constantly read pro blogs and photo how-to books you will see most of the pros say something along the lines of "I don't use mid range zooms, I use wide angle for landscaps and long telephoto for close ups". I bought that for a while until I started looking closely at the metadata for photos they exhibit on their websites and books. Check it out, 6 times of 10, the lens is shown to be a 24-70 zoom. I use this lens almost exclusively for landscapes and lifestyle photos. I rarely go to a wider angle unless trying to make a visual "statement". So, here's one pro who says "I USE MID RANGE ZOOMS", and the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 is usually the one on my D3 when I pick it up.
1717 comments| 400 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.