Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 24, 2005
There is no need to write what these books are about, for everyone knows that they are about the pioneer life of Laura as she was growing up. Also, the book Farmer Boy is about her husband's boyhood in New York. They are wonderful books. I am 42 and I first read them when I was in Jr. High school, and at that time, These Happy Golden Years was my favorite of the series. I bought a set years ago when my 21 yr. old was small. She read them and loved them. We read them aloud when my now 12 yr. old was about 6, and we are reading them aloud again so my 7 yr. old son can enjoy them. We just bought this new set of FULL COLOR editions because our first set is pretty ratty from use. These books are very nice with the full color illustrations, and also the pages are much thicker. I am glad to have this set and feel they are very much worth the higher price for being in color.

Every child should hear these stories. They are very interesting. For us this time, we are again realizing how drastically different life is now from Laura's day. People LIVED then, for they really WORKED and were PRODUCTIVE then, and I believe they were HAPPIER then as well. We are in Farmer Boy now, and we are amazed at how self reliant his family was in producing almost all their own food, clothes ( mother even wove the cloth herself, used the oat straw from the fields to weave their hats), etc. Everyone worked, even the children. It actually makes me sort of sad, really, for everyone needs work and children do too, but today there isn't much work for children to do. Back then it was a productive society, today sadly it is a consumer society.

Another funny thing, in Little House on the Prairie, when the family was packing up to leave, Ma put all the family's clothes into ONE carpet bag! We are definitely not into clothes in our family, but we still could not put all the clothes into one suitcase to go on a trip.

I highly recommend this set of books, and especially the improvement of the sturdier pages and colorized illustrations.
22 comments| 142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?