Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

on October 21, 2009
I received this book from the LibraryThing Early Reviewer program.

This book is so witty and... well, charming.

I'll get to the downside first, to get that out of the way. I found the book to start and end a bit disjointed- don't get me wrong, most of the book is random and disjointed in a good way, but I just found the beginning and end to be a bit slow and disconnected; I think I would have preferred it if the book stayed more with the two main characters. I wanted to know more about them; I'm thinking because Soren did such a good job making them interesting! :) The only other slight problem I had with the book was a personal preference- at one point near the beginning the main characters visit vampires, and, needless to say, I skimmed a lot of those pages. (Ugh, vampires so don't do it for me). I'll give Soren credit, though; she made those particular undead unique enough that I didn't flat out skip those pages like I would have otherwise (or give up on completely). To this author's credit, I think the other reason I kept reading those pages was because man, she can write! Even when it was a subject I wasn't interested in, I kept at it because the book was so enjoyable.

Anyway, to get on with the review, I found the rest of this book to be charming, interesting, and well-written. The author definitely has the skill to write something you don't want to put down (I don't think I put this book down the entire time I was reading it; I wanted to know what happened next!) and the creativity to write something utterly unique. The writing was witty and I loved all the random references throughout. The two main characters were great- Winnie is spunky, intelligent, and clever, and Henry is ... Henry. He's lovably oblivious, but he gets a lot of character development, so even though he's kind of pathetic, you don't mind and keep cheering him on.

I'm not going to go into details about the plot because I feel that spoils things, but I will say that the plot is engaging and fun and the cast of characters are just as well-written as the rest of the book (don't let my hatred of vampires stop you from reading this, please! In fact, feel free to ignore that part of my review as just one of my personal quirks). I've always been a fan of "Alice in Wonderland", so I thought it was so neat that this story had that as a basis. The book also had mythological references and literary figures; I had to grin because those are two of my favorite things. This story isn't all a happy romp, of course, but that makes it even more interesting to see the characters' struggles and how they develop from them. Overall, though, this book is fun!

I will heartily recommend this book to anyone looking to read something new and entertaining; it's got friendship, love, strength, wit, adventure, magic, and a red feather. You can't go wrong with those things! I think it's a young adult book, but adults will love it, too. I know I did, and I suppose I count as an adult. ;) I actually gave this 4 1/2 stars out of five, but Amazon won't let me pick a half star, and now that I realized that, it won't let me edit it up to five where I really want the star to be. Ah well. Ignore that number of stars above this review and go with an extra one. ;)
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.