Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon counterpart counterpart counterpart  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18SW_gno

on November 28, 2010
I bought mine at Target on a whim one day because it was on clearance--a deeeeeep discount, in fact.

Not sure why it's not available through Amazon anymore, because it's an excellent lantern. In a true emergency (natural disaster, power outage, etc.) I'd definitely want something like this with me, as opposed to a light that runs on batteries that need replacing or recharging (I've got plenty of those, btw, and have a pile of Rayovac's hybrid rechargeables--love those too, but that's another review for another time), or even a solar-powered lantern. I've got a Freeplay radio that can run off its solar panels or a hand crank and those solar panels need a good bit of light to work well.

This lantern has a Ni-MH battery in it that you can charge using AC power (at least, my older version--they switched to a USB interface on the unit not too long ago that requires an adapter, apparently) or crank it up if AC is not available.

Important to note, as I've seen a few reviews on other sites griping that "I bought it and put it away and when I needed it, it wouldn't hold a charge": you need to occasionally drain the battery and recharge it to keep it in working condition. This is in the instructions, but many people don't bother to read those anymore and find themselves literally in the dark about how this thing works. I discharge mine every three months or so and then just plug it in and leave it for a day or so (15 hours for a full charge). It's a minor thing to do to keep a valuable tool in working order. I just did it within the past few weeks, in fact.

I haven't had it out in a rain storm as of yet (have had it a couple of years), so I can't say how it will hold up to water (though the manufacturer claims it's splash proof and will work in the rain), but I've got other lights (my main light being a 4Sevens Quark AAx2--yet another review for yet another time) that I know are as close to waterproof as I need without getting a diving light.

It's made of plastic, but feels sturdy, like it could take a few knocks. I prefer not to drop my electronics, though, if I can help it. ;) The controls are very simple: dimmer-type switch for the 7-LED cluster up top and a push button for the directional LED on the front. Little rubber feet on the bottom to keep it from sliding off surfaces and the hand crank clicks solidly into place in the back when it's not in use. Metal bail on top so the lantern can be hung from a hook or a tree branch, etc. They made them in green also, but mine's yellow like the one pictured here.

As I said, I love this lantern. It's come in handy a few times when the power's gone out.

More info, including why it's called the Indigo, can be found at the manufacturer's website: [...]
22 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?