Industrial Deals HPC Trade in your textbooks Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for Musical Instruments Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 11, 2011
Update: As of 7/22/16 it was a good run while it lasted. Picked up my phone to make a call today and every time I attempted to use my dial it says your phone is not properly configured; when I know its properly configured. So I log into the website to see what the issue was and the site says greetings your phone phone is not properly configured in order to properly configure your phone you have to pay a fee. What? In order to properly configure my free phone I have to pay. No Obi that is not how this works. You don't use strong arm tactics against people who support your product. Its rather insulting. Try a Magic Jack at least they are up front about their service.

UPDATE: As of 9/11/2014 Google voice is back on the Obi. I know a lot of us were down because of the Google Voice dropping Obi support situation, but as of today I have received an email that says Google voice Obi compatibility is active again. This is for old and new Obi devices. I made a test call to my cellphone and it went through. I literally just plugged it back in and everything worked properly. I never removed my Google Voice info from the Obihai website, so I did not have to go and reenter anything. Glad to have my *free* back up home phone again.

By installing the obi 100 and the Vtech Dect 6.0 I officially do not need phone service. This thing gives you the exact same service that most cable companies are selling in a bundle with cable and internet. Problem with the cable company is that after the promotion runs out each service is about 60 dollars a piece. The price jumps from 99.00 introductory 12 month rate to a whopping full circle at 180 bucks a month. I asked and asked buy my cable company refused to put me back on promotion. So, I ended up doing some research on how I could get a low cost preferably free phone service that did not require having a computer on always like Majic Jack.

I ended up narrowing my search down to 2 choices 1 I could go with Ooma, or 2 there was the Obi. Both of these phone solutions use Voip which is just an acronym for voice over the internet literally. Ooma has a high installation cost, but if you are not very tech savvy and familiar with the internet this is probably the best choice for you. Installation of Ooma is very easy as I understand it. Its practically plug in and start calling. However the drawback as I mentioned is the 2-300.00 dollar equipment fee, and the 3 dollars a month they charge for some type of taxes that make no sense to me. They are not the phone company, and how does everyone pay the exact same amount 3 dollars and some change.

Anyway I found out about the Obi110 and saw its capabilities, and I was impressed. It met all of my criteria. Low cost equipment; the obi100 was about 40 dollars and the phone was about 15 so all together I spent just over 50 dollars. Set up can be intimidating to a novice, but it is do able. It should take a novice about 10 minutes if they follow the video. As long as you follow the steps for configuring the Obi with google voice on the ObiHai website you can enjoy a free phone service that runs through your high speed internet modem. Google voice integration is perfect.

I have used the exact same phone that I bought at other peoples house and I always hear this loud static in the background, and I struggle to hear the person on the other end. I chalk it up to the analog phone combined with the latency of the cordless phone. However, when I heard the clarity that Voip provided via the Obi100 and Google voice I was blown away. No monthly fees, no high equipment fees and fairly easy installation the Obi and Google voice are a no brainier. You can even get a local number or port your cell phone or some other number to Google voice.

If you want to ditch your phone bill and need a replacement solution that does not depend on a computer. This should be your first choice. Only draw back is that there is no emergency calls and 911 can't find your location. I highly recommend, and if you read this entire review I am sorry for the length, but I tried to give a thorough review. Thanks.
5150+ comments| 1,022 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?