Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon bajillions bajillions bajillions  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Frank Sinatra Shop Cycling on Amazon

4,142 of 4,209 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars No Comparison to ANY Other Juicer in this price range, December 14, 2011
This review is from: Breville JE98XL Juice Fountain Plus 850-Watt Juice Extractor (Kitchen)
I had the Juiceman Pro 210 juicer and now this one. I alternate between being really into juicing to not juicing at all. So a $400-$500 investment in a single gear masticating juicer does not make sense.
I am currently into a 'really into juicing' phase, so much so that I overworked the poor Juiceman juicer a while ago.
Since I had no other point of reference at the time, my only issue with the Juiceman Pro 210 was that the feeder was small. I did wonder what it would be like to have a juicer accept an apple or orange without having to quarter it. But that really was the only issue. No complaints with plastic or motor or quantity of juice.

This Breville juicer beats the Juiceman hands down in EVERY category that I can think of. It has the power, it's compact enough to fit where I need it to on my kitchen counter and more:

1. Speed Counts - I'm a busy mom. I work, I cook, I chauffeur and somewhere in there I need to find the time to juice. I can't wait 30 minutes for a machine to work through veggies and fruit *at low temperature* and 100% dry pulp to get my juice. I can take out 10mins. 5 mins to prep the veggies and fruits (I peel my organic carrots before I juice them as an example, or to peel oranges, or wash the spinach). 1 min to juice it all. Literally. 1 min. Regardless of what you throw at it. And I juice for four glasses at a time. And then 2-3 mins for cleanup. So the long pole in the tent is the prep - not dealing with the juicer - which is great.

2. Juice Quantity Counts - Could the juice output be higher with some of the higher end products? Likely. But the cost of the higher end items plus the extra time to wait for the juice is not worth it to me. The pulp for 'hard' produce like carrots and beets feels very dry to me with this juicer. The difference between the Juiceman and the Breville is really in how it deals with the soft produce. I had to run the soft produce pulp through the Juiceman twice and I got equal quantities of juice. With the Breville 98XL, it is so dry the first go around that it absolutely is not worth my time to deal with the pulp a second time. I figure I get about 5% more juice by running the pulp through again. If that's not a big deal to you, then don't worry about it. What is 5% of 4 oranges worth to you is the question.

3. Ease of Use Counts - The machine is simple to put together and take apart. You will have to work on cleaning any juicer. No getting around that, no matter which one you use. Cleaning this juicer is not complicated and easily done. I clean mine right after I juice and drink. Another trick to ease cleanup is to put a plastic grocery bag in your refuse container. It's one less thing to wash. Pick up and drop into trash or empty into compost bin.

4. Stability Counts - You don't want a juicer running around on your counter. The last thing you want is to juice two carrots or beets and have that end up on the counter and stain instead of in your juice container because the juicer isn't sturdy. This juicer held it's own against tough produce and I have never had issues.

5. Can it Juice Green? - By green, I mean can it handle leafy greens, which are a problem for most low-end juicers. Not this one. I juice spinach, red swiss chard and kale regularly. And stringy greens like celery as well. And it handles it all well.

6. Do I need to be a stud to handle this? - I've dealt with juicer scenarios where I had to use both arms and my body weight to push push push the produce through. Not this juicer. It gobbles up produce as I feed it in. Love that it's speedy and powerful.

So, don't think about it. Whether you're an all time juicer or a sometimes juicer, this is a great product for a good price.

PS: Centrifugal juicers do not heat up your produce any more than masticating juicers. There have been studies done on this. Look them up. Plus - a masticating juicer takes 20-30 mins to 'chew' through the fruit and veggies to make juice. That means the first piece of juice would have been oxidizing for 20-30 mins before I could drink it. So really - the centrifugal juicer is quick, saves you money, saves you time and is easy to clean.

Update: Dec 31st
I still love this juicer. I usually juice twice a day. It handles all produce well. The ONLY issue I have had is with juicing pineapples. It seems to leak a little underneath the plastic, probably because I am putting in a lot of the pineapple in at the same time. The overflow of juice inside the juicer as it is being poured out into the container probably accounts for the minor leakage. In other words, slow down when juicing a large quantity of a super juicy fruit or veggie(I juice an entire pineapple sometimes) by alternating with less juicy produce, or give the juicer an extra 5-10 seconds to empty itself into the container.

Update March 1st
Still loving it! :)

Update Nov 2nd
I've had several people ask so reporting that yes, I am still loving this juicer. :)

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 12 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 73 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 9, 2012 11:51:20 AM PST
Thanks for this review!! It has been really helpful. I didn't know what to look for in a juicer, now I have a better idea.
I love Breville products so I looked them up before other brands.
Looking forward to juicing!

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 7:04:27 AM PDT
E. Aitken says:
Awesome review, thank you much!

Posted on May 24, 2012 9:03:29 AM PDT
thank you for your review! very helpful!

Posted on May 28, 2012 3:25:08 PM PDT
scuba mom says:
Thanks for a great review- it was very informative and comprehensive! Also I love the updates :)

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 7:16:44 PM PDT
Errol Erin says:
Thanks for the post, this basically sealed it for me!

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 9:43:34 AM PDT
viewmaster says:
Thanks....I usually spend some time researching a product, but with your great review and
the reputation of this product, I think I can save myself some of that valuble commoditity, time,
and order this with confidence that I will be satisfied. Thanks again!

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 10:22:27 PM PDT
Crystal Cole says:
I had a friend recommend this juicer to me and after reading this review I am sold. I also love that you have updated your review to show that you are still satisfied with this product. I am new to juicing and I may have been completely lost without this review and the recommendation of my friend. Thank you so much.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 2:24:40 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 21, 2012 2:26:30 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 2:24:42 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 21, 2012 2:27:10 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 2:25:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 21, 2012 2:30:52 AM PDT
Kay Comer says:
Absolutely fantastic review! We've been using a Champion Juicer for about 22 years on and off...But I got really into it after seeing the Joe Cross documentary "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead" It is an eye opener for sure. I DO wish...you had shared if you had lost any weight..I only have 20 pounds to lose but for me, 20 pounds is as hard as 120 to others. I also loved your updates. A very details review and the updates just sold the juicer for me...you should be getting a commission. :-) The Champion is also a very good juicer and we've used the same one for all of these 22 years...but I just wanted to see how the one Joe used on the documentary...measured up...I think it's time for a switch. Thanks

I've studied natural healing/living and juicing for better health since 1977 and I write a daily blog...often talking about juicing and other natural healing issues ..along with just this and that....and my blog is "A Simple Woman's Journal" http://www.birdseyeviewoftheworldofthekatydid.blogspot.com
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›