Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

5.0 out of 5 stars Best DOA ever!!!, September 28, 2012
This review is from: Dead or Alive 5 (Video Game)
A little family history on the DOA franchise. My father and I first played DOA on the PSone. I was looking for a fighting game since I normally play RPG and racing games. When we played DOA, it was love at first sight. Ever since then, we bought game systems just to play versions of DOA. The only one we didn't have was DOA 4, since we bought PS3 for the bluray, but even then, we were contemplating on getting the Xbox 360, yet were fortunate to get a copy of DOA4 from a friend, just to collect. My father passed away 2 years ago, so he never played Dimensions and DOA 5. In his honor, I bought a 3DS just for DOA:D.

Now, after 7 years, DOA is back in full force. I've gotten to play other fighting games since then, and ended up loving the SoulCalibur series as an alternative, but was disappointed with Tekken. I like Tekken 3 and a fan of the series and it's characters, but I was disappointed with Tekken 6, and since Tekken Tag Tournament 2 came out within weeks before DOA 5, I had to save my money for the latter.

I haven't been excited for a video game for a long time, so I opted to get the works: DOA 5 Collector's Edition :)

I've been playing it for hours and into days, and I'm in cloud 9. The new game plays like a dream. Team Ninja did a good job with their latest installment, and it seems they listened to fans about concerns from the demo a few months back.

The gameplay is tight and it caters to both rookies and hardcore pros. The best way to describe it is that it's easy to learn, but hard to master, like chess. Yet, it's so enjoyable to play. I'm a casual gamer, and semi-hardcore, at best. I can play tough games like Ninja Gaiden (with the exception of the horrible NG 3; shame on Team Ninja for that one); and with DOA, I can have my moments, but end up doing rookie mistakes. The great thing about DOA 5 is that it's become more accessible than the previous DOAs (all of which were so hard at times, that it can test patience).

The graphics are amazing this time around too. It has always had the best fighting game graphics, but now, Team Ninja has outdone themselves. With destructive and interactive environments, as well as sweat and dirt on your characters, it feels like you've been on an actual fight.

The sound and the story are decent, but I haven't played a fighting game that could do any better.

All in all, I'm so into DOA 5 that I started watching tournament play on youtube, just to immerse myself in all things DOA again. I'm so happy that this series is finally getting the respect it deserves, despite some biased opinions from some reviews based on political mentality (favoring their own gaming franchises), and hopefully, it will introduce a great game to a new generation.

I'm still smiling because I own the game. It really is worth your money, and fighting entertainment at it's best.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 1, 2012, 11:53:08 PM PDT
Juju says:
Wow interesting story :O I guess for me its kind of the same though different series.. Me and my mom would play tekken 2 and Soul Calibur 2 and ever since then tekken and Soul Calibur has been my fighting games.. but for.. it started When first played an xbox 360 I played DOA 4 and fell in love ever since... :DD This a well written review.. kind of makes me glad I preordered :)) tomorrow it arrives.. cant wait

Posted on Oct 2, 2012, 6:31:53 PM PDT
NameSource says:
Dude this story is great as is your review, and I feel the same way!

Question though, how old are you? I'm 30 and have been playing DOA since PS1. If you were playing this with your dad, then you had an AWESOME dad in your younger years.

Happy gaming!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012, 10:47:33 PM PDT
Thanks for the comments.

I'm pretty old :) I turned 36 this year. I had an awesome dad in my college years. My wife, who is 30 now, started loving DOA Volleyball when she was 27 years old. I hope DOA, Tekken, Soul Calibur, and other games like these are still classics when we have children in the future. Or, at least, we have something to connect with our children.

Near his retirement, my father's favorite game was Final Fantasy 8. It was never as popular other Final Fantasy games, but it was the one that got him to play video games. When we found DOA, he liked the graphics and intuitive gameplay, and we would play hours competing back and forth. And, in every DOA, I would let him unlock the costumes. He didn't know many combos, but his timing and pacing was very good. Tina was his girl on offense, and I countered him with my Lei Fang. It was a nice rivalry between our characters, but it was also satisfying to team up with Dad in tag mode, especially when they have compatible tag animations.

I miss him dearly when I play DOA5, but I know that he would have loved how the game has evolved.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012, 8:09:29 PM PDT
NameSource says:
The story is inspiring enough for me to (hope) to have the same relationship when I have kids.

And 36 isn't old at all! In today's day that's the new 26! ;-)

I'm having a blast with DOA5 thus far. Keep up the great reviews.

Posted on Oct 12, 2012, 7:14:26 AM PDT
I liked your story.. more than your review.. Is pure love for DOA XD

And like You I like a lot DOA, but this since DOA2 on Dreamcast. But my favorite game have been Soul Calibur since it was called Soul Edge/Blade on PSX... That machine gave us a lot of fighting games and classic games to remember in nostalgia rigth?

PD: You Should try Tekken Tag2.. is the best since Tekken 5 and Tekken 3 (my favorites from ever on that series ) ;)See you arround

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012, 12:07:33 AM PDT
Hiryu says:
Thanks, I will try TTT2, too. It's good to know that there are people who support all the fighting games for their merits, instead of giving bad comments for the sake of destroying competition.

Like DOA, I love the characters in the Tekken series, and it seems like they included a lot of them this time around. I was frustrated with Tekken 6 since the gameplay was not as intuitive, and I spent so many hours just to finish a story mode that was a beat-em up game, instead of a fighting game. It was a good idea, but the controls weren't very responsive. If they did an action game for DOA, Temco can use the mechanics from Ninja Gaiden, which feels like a fighting game. What I did like about Tekken 6 was being able to play arcade with simulated "online" play without going online, improving your rank along the way.

I also wish the Soul Calibur series gets better, as well. What I loved from the Dreamcast version was customizing the opening movie with your favorite characters, which made you feel like a director or editor. When you play the game, it gets you pumped up because it has your personal touch. Then, later with SC3, they introduced character customization. Other fighting games should have this feature!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012, 8:57:47 AM PDT
Well... Soul calibur V is the best game on gameplay of the series... but a little lacking on single player content.. but it have a lot of added things and change on gameplay but remaining tru to it self... and a great online mode and great versus as ever... and what's even better.. the cration/customizable mode... almost infinity posibilities with that mode (actully I have spent more time on that mode than in online Xp) I whished for DOA5 have a similar mode... :(

PD: I just noticed that you're the same of the guide review I commented on XD

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012, 8:31:15 PM PDT
Hiryu says:
Yeah, I've been hearing good online from SCV :) I'm going to finally get that; it's half-price now. I did rent it once, and I liked how your customs aren't affected by different power-ups/ downs by the clothes, so I thought that was great.

As for DOA5, my wife and I play online, and there is less lag with the new patch. Either way, we wish they had 4-player tag team mode so we can team-up against other players. And, she's getting better the more we play. When we get TTT2, I think she'll like the online there, too :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›