Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

1.0 out of 5 stars Good Sound, BAD build quality, Pathetic service, June 1, 2012
This review is from: Monster Turbine PRO High-Performance In-Ear Speakers (Copper) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Let me start of by saying that these earphones do sound really good but only when they actually work and I have now twice had horrific experiences with their build quality and customer service. I bought these with a lot of excitement and after doing a lot of research I was convinced that these had fantastic sound quality and exceptional build materials backed with a lifetime guarantee.

When I first received them, the headphones started falling apart after the first two weeks. Initially one of the earphones would only output a very very low volume while the other was fine and soon after that both earphones started to break apart at the cable joint. I called customer support and they asked me to ship in the earphones for replacement within 3 weeks. I did and then for more than 3 months went through torture as Monster refused to provide me with any estimated time for resolution. I live in Australia so calling customer support means staying up till 2 am on a week night. I had to do this many times as Monster sis not even once respond to my many emails. When I was able to get them on the phone [1 hour waiting time on average] the only answer I ever got was that they were out of stock and did not know when they will be able to provide me with a replacement [all this time MTPCs were being sold with plenty of available stock through many retailers]. Request for a refund got me transferred to a "manager" who never got on the line after an additional hour and a half of waiting on the line [this all from a phone call from Australia at 3 am in the morning]

Finally they sent my a replacement set and these sounded good for 2 months but now the left earphone is coming apart and has a very pronounced buzzing noise which makes it unusable. I have thought about sending these in for warranty replacement but i cannot go through the torture again.

For headphones which are supposed to be "as good as they get" my experience with the MTPCs could not have been any worse if they had tried. The sound is good, but it just does not work.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 12, 2012 9:39:32 PM PDT
I dont know how much of this I believe. For one thing they have the best warranty of any company I have ever dealt with. I broke mine and called customer support. I shipped them back along with my proof of purchase and they shipped my replacements 2 day air.

I purchased another pair for my son, and he caught his on his amp while on setting up for a show, and he called support, and same thing, he received his 2 day air as well.

I wonder if you bought your from a non authorized dealer. In that case they will not ship replacements. I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience but Monster has been a great company to work with.

If you go to the Monster site then go to the authorized dealers and see if the company you dealt with is on there. If you bought from Amazon directly then call them and have them issue you a refund.

Something here just doesn't sound right.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2012 4:47:06 AM PDT
I've had the same experience as the original reviewer. The headphones are great while they last, pity they last for all of 2 months. Absolutely appalling customer service by monster, not one of my e-mails has been responded to.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2013 7:32:38 AM PDT
I agree with Scott. Monster is a stand-up company, and the fact that you destroyed them within weeks says to me that you're not taking proper care of them. Maybe I'm wrong, but I also read a lot of reviews where you can tell the person didn't follow the proper instructions for using a product, or they abused it. Then they bash the hell out of the company even when its their fault it didn't perform as it should.

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 1:28:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2013 1:28:44 PM PDT
Lupin III says:
I too will have to agree with Scott. I'm fortunate enough to live in the Bay Area, so I just drove down to Monster Corporate Headquarters and handed my box over to the receptionist. A couple of weeks later, brand spanking new headphones were delivered to my door. Sure, would have been nice if they just swapped me out a new pair right then and there, but, I'm quite happy with customer service.

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 11:10:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2014 3:10:34 PM PDT
Jason says:
I can say from my own experience in the UK that Monster Cable are extremely conscientious when it comes to customer care. After buying them nearly four years ago they replaced my Pro Coppers (developed a faulty speaker last month) without any hassle (or any need to make phone calls) whatsoever - a complete, brand new boxed package. So their 'lifetime guarantee' actually means something.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2014 3:01:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2014 3:02:54 PM PDT
I really appreciate that the company has a lifetime guarantee, which is why I paid out about $350 for my in-ear Miles Davis tributes (great sound by the way). However, they've gone bad after 3 years and the company no longer currently makes any headphones that cost more than $150, so I'm sort of stuck at the moment - as they will only let you trade in the old ones for something that they have in stock (understandably). I called the US customer support three different times and got three different answers from them about how I might resolve this issue.

The first person told me I could trade for an over-ear model of similar or lesser value (which all of them are, and suggested that I research them, which I did). When I called back, the second person told me I could only get their most-expensive in-ear option (hmmmm, not sure I'm interested in replacing with cheap versions!). The third time I called they suggested that I wait a few months and call back, as the Copper and Gold Turbines are being re-designed and will be available in June 2014.

That leaves me with nothing for the next three months, but I guess I'll wait and get those, rather than settle for cheaper options!

I appreciate the company standing behind their products, but overall, I have to say that I was very UNIMPRESSED with their customer service reps... their demeanor, attitude, product knowledge, etc. was all extremely lacking. They didn't seem to care whether they have a job or not, or whether I'm a customer or not.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›