Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

3.0 out of 5 stars This toy won't last, November 27, 2010
This review is from: LeapFrog Learn & Groove Musical Table (Toy)
Length:: 1:03 Mins

We brought this LeapFrog music table as a christmas present for our first born and was hoping this would last. Our son liked it when it was working but grew quickly bored of it after a day or two. Here are some pros and cons that I noticed when it was working:
PROs:
1) very easy to setup. Put in the batteries, insert the four legs, then hit the on switch and you're ready to rock and roll
2) It provides two options for sounds a)numbers, shapes and alphabet
b) music
3) Its fairly loud. It provides an option two options for volume control
4) lots of things to do on the table (eight to be exact - open/close blue box, fake plastic xylophone which starts the singing of up/down/high/low, fake plastic trumpet that starts the number sequence from one to ten, four key piano which sings red/blue/green/yellow, three shape buttons - red square/yellow triangle/green circle, cheap guitar that starts some music and spin (thingy), one page book that switches between vocal and music, a shaker which spins and starts the alphabet

Cons:
1)the plastic feels VERY cheap
2)not durable - mine lasted two weeks before it started to break down. If you want to know the end product, i've provided a video of it working and a video after it started to act screwy
3) the piano was four keys and played crappy music or sang the colors instead of providing a musical note per key
4)The alphabet and numbers were ridiculously quick. I guess someone was trying to save money on flash memory (or whatever they used to store the sound)
5)The HUGE plastic book was ONE page that flips back and forth. Couldn't they add more? I guess its cheaper to go with binary.
6) IT WONT LAST.... just a recommendation, but PLEASE AVOID THIS THING. Try finding something that will last. $35 bucks for two or three weeks is ridiculous for any toy.

UPDATE:
Per note from the replies, replacing the batteries has fixed the issues noted in the video and the review above. This toy has been slammed, dropped, and kicked around a bunch and its still up and running with no cracks. I'm surprised that its still in excellent condition.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2010, 9:32:15 AM PST
RS Reviews says:
Despite what it 'feels' like I would have to disagree with you, we have had ours now for FOUR years with two rough and tumble boys who love it :) I'm sorry that your experience was bad though, it sounds as if you had a defective one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2011, 8:11:45 AM PST
P. Nguyen says:
Thanks for the input Brandy. My kid did like the toy when it was working but the lifespan of this product is minimal. Go to toysrus or your local toystore, im sure they have this in stock and compare what you have and the latest model. I'm beginning to think that they've been cutting corners in hopes for more profits in the four years.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2011, 3:01:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2011, 3:01:52 PM PST
Kate says:
Mine acted the same way after only 2 months of use. I agree that the quality is very poor.

Posted on Apr 29, 2011, 8:48:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 29, 2011, 8:50:18 PM PDT
We've had ours for about 3 weeks and it's already broken - acting the exact same as yours. I think it's the switch for the page. I'm going to call the company and see about a replacement since I (of course) didn't save the receipt.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011, 12:00:02 AM PDT
We're having the same problem, although it's been about 3 months before it start failing like the original reviewer's video. The Spanish language switch fixes it for about 5 minutes and then it's off to the funny farm with the table. Fail. :( Has anyone had any luck with Leap Frog rectifying the situation with this product?

Posted on Aug 13, 2011, 9:04:05 AM PDT
We've had ours for just over two weeks now, and it's doing the same thing as yours is. I agree that I think it's the switch in the "book" page. Going to try to take it back to the store.

Posted on Sep 6, 2011, 9:32:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2011, 9:33:46 AM PDT
smtailor says:
I had the same problem with it. CHANGE THE BATTERIES. Seriously, did you all just give up? And the batteries that come with it don't last. Get some energizers or something.

Posted on Oct 12, 2011, 12:02:10 PM PDT
Beth says:
We've had ours a few weeks and it does the same thing. I have no idea how to fix it and my twins loved this toy. Anybody have any luck with getting the company to replace it?

Posted on Nov 28, 2011, 2:32:55 PM PST
Teena says:
My son played with this toy for a couple months before the toy started making noises while flipping the page. I had the same issue as described above and felt that the toy is gone for good. However, I remembered with some other electronic toys a note 'Replace batteries'. I thought may be it is time to change the batteries. To give it a shot, I tried just interchanging the batteries and they worked. After a couple of days, I started getting the same issue. Finally I replaced the batteries and the toy is working fine. Hope this helps all you guys who ran into similar issues.

Posted on Jan 31, 2012, 1:01:20 PM PST
Stephra says:
I am having the same issue with our table after my twins played with it for under a month, sounded like a short in the unit and would only play a couple of beats. After reading the comments here I did go ahead and just change out the batteries entirely and so far it is working fine. I honestly thought it was a short in the toy by the way the unit sounded and kept getting stuck on the same note. I figured if it was the batteries the unit would not turn on at all. It was still under warranty and I was irritated that it was not working properly after it being recently purchased so no, I did not put a lot of troubleshooting into it. First time parents and first time having to mess with kids toys... live and learn. Hopefully the unit will continue to play properly. Its been 10 minutes so far!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›