Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

1.0 out of 5 stars Unimpressed - Facts Don't Add Up, May 29, 2013
This review is from: Captive Audience: The Telecom Industry and Monopoly Power in the New Gilded Age (Hardcover)
I do much of my schoolwork online and do not believe that Susan Crawford's points in "Captive Audience" are valid. I am from a rural area, yet my broadband connection is good enough for me to stream online lecture and perform research. Only 3-5% of homes in the US do not have access to wired broadband services, and generally in these cases there are multiple wireless options. I simply do not know anyone who is not able to purchase a wired broadband connection - even in remote areas.

Our system of private investment is sustainable and has provided affordable service to hundreds of millions of people. Looking at the state of broadband in the US I do not see the problems in our system that Ms. Crawford points out. The last thing we need is a complete overhaul that trades our tried and true system for one of uncertainty, reliant on government spending. In order to provide better, cheaper broadband we need to move regulation out of the 1990's and into the 21st century.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 22, 2013 10:18:05 AM PDT
Sam S. says:
Seems like a comment straight out of a lobbyists mouth.

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 2:32:28 PM PDT
war59312 says:
nhunter, just have your "accident" already you POS lobbyist!

Your one and only review on Amazon is a flat out lie!

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 5:01:02 PM PDT
Shaun says:
Be careful with reading some of these reviews. They may severely dumb you down. They aren't real.

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 5:50:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2013 5:51:25 PM PDT
aikanae says:
Come over to my house. I live in the 5th largest city in the nation, pay $60/month for "high speed" (which lasts 2 minutes) and suffer frequent outages, crawling speeds; the wiring hasn't been updated for 15-20 years. And I have no choice. There is one provider.

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 6:09:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2013 9:36:48 PM PDT
16807 says:
Hi nhunter,

I'm a shameless telecom astroturfer (No, I'm for real, you can trust me). Given my line of business I think I bring some relevant experience to the subject discussed in Susan's book, and as such I thought I'd share my thoughts.

First, let me be clear - I despise Susan's book and want to see it wiped from the face of the earth. I would go to whatever means necessary to see it gone. Nevertheless, that's not what I'm writing about today. Today, I write to bring to light a special contempt I hold for the common people such as yourself, nhunter. I do not care for the opinions of a young rural schoolyard brat. Your opinions as you write them are puerile and naive. Your text reads like it was written for a homework assignment. You will never stand to sway anyone else to your opinion with the hollow and soulless talking points you've been told to deliver, but that's okay. You do, after all, buy into it, and that's all I care about in the end. As long as you keep these opinions, you will forever be a slave to corporate interests and the people who guide them - people like me, basically.

Sexily yours,

This video encapsulates what the telco industry is: http://youtu.be/0ilMx7k7mso

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 12:50:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2013 12:50:45 PM PDT
Joel Schopp says:
This is nhunter's only review on Amazon. Seems very suspicious to parrot a view that most people disagree with. Lobbyist astroturfing seems more likely.

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 4:32:34 PM PST
MarkT says:
Uhh really? thank you Comcast for your input

Posted on Mar 7, 2014 6:28:09 AM PST
Dale Lature says:
and the "facts" here? None. Nothing to say about any of the SPECIFICS Crawfors outlines of HOW our broadband lags behind the rest of the world. "Good enough" simply exhibits the same ignorance that this book does a great job of illustrating; how it's FAR from "good enough". "Good enough" for 38th among nations, for a nation who INVENTED the Internet. It's monopolies like Comcast/Time Warner that pull the wool over your eyes and convince you that they give you "all you need".

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 4:38:37 PM PDT
What "private investment"?

Do you mean the $115mn in subsidies given companies from the FCC to expand broadband? The companies, as most companies in the US, are heavily subsidized by our govt., meaning you and me, even though they make an obscene amount of profit and give obscene salaries to their CEOs.

"The Federal Communications Commission said Wednesday it'll spend $115 million to subsidize broadband Internet providers in an effort to encourage extension of their services to rural parts of the U.S. "
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›