BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 28, 2010
Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food by Catherine and Luke Shanahan (she's an MD) is now in my own personal Top Ten books of all time. I could never say enough good things about this book; it's off the charts.

I'm a health nut from way back, always telling my friends the latest about Omega-3's, the horrors of trans-fats, the crucial need for Vitamin D and more. I learned most of it first from my sister, I admit, but I found Barry Sears by myself. My sis actually has a 1938 publication by Weston Price, and first got going with Adele Davis. I've read countless books, magazine articles, newsletters, and manuals trying to understand what's what. I'd trade all I've ever read about diet, nutrition, and health food for the book produced by Catherine and Luke Shanahan.

Regarding the massive amount of research these two have done, they have really sifted the chaff from the wheat. (Oh, but too bad about that metaphor, wheat is kind of on the outs now for me.) What we should be eating, and WHY, is what this book is all about. This narrative has unusual insights and connects things you would never expect to see in a book about nutrition. This book is so engaging and well written; you certainly come away with a bit of the personality of its authors (a couple of minor typos are not a problem for me, unlike the reviewer who gave it two stars).

Your paradigms will shift! You know sugar is a problem. How bad? Pretty bad. You need to know why. Catherine and Luke explain it is so well you will wonder why candy is ever allowed in schools. But cheer-up, nutrient rich foods are nothing if not delicious! The more flavor, the more nutrition. Rich cream is good for you, and butter! Who knew? Olive oil is still OK, but I did not know how much damage the canola, soy, sunflower, and other veggie oils where doing. I had no idea.

Vegans will have the biggest challenge in their path to health. Our bodies did not evolve eating soy and veggies alone. Soy has major issues, well explained here. I'm now eating liver and liking it (I am shocked, actually), making my own yogurt from raw milk and loving it (remembering trips to Greece), and learning to ferment veggies (delicious).

French cooks, Julie and Julia fans, rejoice. Those French sauces, creamy or made of stock from slow cooked bones, are not only yummy, but super healthy!

Young adults who are getting married and thinking about babies, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE read this wonderful book before you conceive. There are way, way, too many unhealthy kids in the world. You want one that is as perfect as possible. Deep nutrition starts before conception.

Boomers....do you want to be in the joint replacement brigade, dealing with cancer or heart disease, forgetting stuff all the time? Of course not. READ THIS BOOK!!

Amazon readers are always told "If you liked this book, you will like _______" I didn't think it was possible to have another book out there as good as this one, but Nora Gedgaudas wrote one. Her book, Primal Body--Primal Mind: Empower Your Total Health The Way Evolution Intended, is one you probably should buy at the same time you order this one. These two books are joined at the hip. They fit together perfectly with minimal duplication. They both give jaw-dropping insights into who we are bio-chemically, and what we can do to survive in a world where profits drive food production and medical care.

If you don't have heath care (I mean sick care), BUY these books. You'll be fine, unless you are hit by a truck.
3333 comments| 649 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?