BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 4, 2014
First let me couch my comments by saying I am a retired IT guy. I think most people will be very happy with this machine although I think it is only a steps above a mediocre machine.

What made me decide to consider the purchase was the manufacture and hardware. Lenovo is one of the top 3 laptop builders as of Spring 2014. Apple, ACER and Lenovo are regarded as the 3 best in that order. I also liked that fact they used top quality hardware in the build. The AMD process gets a good rating for a RISC processor. The RAM is expandable to 16GB. The HDD is a WD which is the best HD maker currently. I do wish they had installed a 500GB instead of the 320. The USB3 ports will accept USB2 drives. I also liked the extended keyboard with the number pad. I use this on my desktop for entering numbers in spreadsheets. I liked the low heat generation as well as their BIOS. It is all good hardware and software. The big disappointment has been no bluetooth. All the ads and reviews said it had bluetooth but it does not. If you need bluetooth for your phone or other device, this is not the machine for you.

It is a speedy little machine. I installed Office Pro 2010 on it and have no problems with its operation. I have also loaded Any Video Converter and Photoshop. It does a decent job of processing video and images. It's not the greatest at it but I didn't purchase it to process video. This is really a business machine. I crunch numbers and run Access DB.

What has put me off has been the operation of the machine. I built my 1st PC in 1985. I use key commands as much as I use the mouse or trackpad. This has been my biggest problem with this laptop. For example, I rarely exit apps by clicking on the "X" in the upper right of the open window (as 95% of others do). I use the ALT + F4 to kill open apps. Much to my dismay I have found I must hold the FN + ALT + F4 keys. I also use the native Function keys as windows has set them for years. With this laptop I must hold down the FN key and then press the F key I want. Otherwise it turns on/off the mic, the WIFI, etc. I have not looked in the BIOS to see if this can be reset to a default setting. Maybe someone out knows and can let me know.

I do like the keyboard and find it easy to type on and use. However I am still trying to adjust to the trackpad. I initially liked the idea of a track pad that took advantage of the Apple type press mechanism to launch actions. However I am finding my wrist getting sore with all the pressing. Fortunately Lenovo retained the tap/double tap with your finger to launch. I also like the 2 finger press to right click but it doesn't always work for me. I have resorted to using the bottom edge of the trackpad with my thumb to activate the right click.

Overall this is a good laptop but needs usability rethinking by Lenovo... or maybe I'm just geeking to old ;^)

Anyway, that's my $0.02 worth. Good luck.
1111 comments| 272 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?