Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy sequel, November 19, 2009
This review is from: Assassin's Creed II: Platinum Hits Edition (Video Game)
I haven't finished this game yet, but I guess I better make my review before too many 1 star idiots show up and destroy the reputation of a brilliant game.

If you enjoyed the first game for the great story line and graphics, but found the game play to be a little repetitive and glitchy, you should definitely like this game. Ubisoft really managed to keep everything that was brilliant from the first game while fixing most of the issues and annoyances.

The scenery is still brilliant and the characters in the cut scenes look so realistic that sometimes it felt like I was watching a movie. The voice acting is also brilliantly done; both of these aspects really help suck you into the excellent story that this game gives.

The combat system is much improved from the first game; as soon as you get DaVinci to repair your "wrist blade" contraption, you can start stabing unsuspecting guards in the neck....even more fun than it sounds.

The game starts out a little slow; you'll be beating people up a lot, but you don't get any weapons for a little while. This is all part of building a great story though, so don't give up on it too early (the blood will come).

If you didn't play the first game, you might want to rent it or at least read an story overview online. The game presents a few back story cutscenes, but if you didn't play AC1, you might feel that the story is lacking a little. It is after all a continuation from the first game.

Game ratings:
Graphics: 10/10
Audio: 10/10
voice acting: 10/10
Combat System: 10/10
Controls: 9/10 (Sometimes I jump up on something when it's not what I intended; however, this is what allows you to scale building and run around so fast and easily, so it's an acceptable consequence. Once you get a good handle on the controls, this shouldn't be a big issue)

All in all, I think that this was the sequel I was hoping for and I'm eager to finish it and see where the story goes.

Don't usually review games this early in play, but I hate seeing 1 star reviews already bashing it and bringing down the rating. It's a shame to see such a great game with an overall 3.5 star rating.

14Dec2009
Update:

I've since finished playing this game and I have to say, "Wow"! It was just great all the way through, and kept me wanting more. My only gripe would be a little bit of a rehash for the repetitive game play people loathed in the first game. If you don't collect all of those codec's, it will make you before you can finish the game. Don't worry though; they'll give you a map that tells you where they are at least. I'm still a little disappointed that I have to collect them at all though; it's all too familiar with what I hated about the first game.

Despite the few repetitive monotonous game play tasks that surface, the game is most excellent. The story gets pretty crazy, but in a good way. Some things are explained, but many mysteries surface. Overall though, much better ending that the first game that didn't leave me feeling as confused and empty. It definitely should leave you wanting more; too bad I have to wait two years to finish the story...at least Mass Effect 2 will be coming out, and of course there's still COD.

One question though: In this game it's explained that you'll learn to become an assassin in real life from the simulation you go through. How is it that you didn't learn squat the in the first game? Apart from eagle vision that is. I thought it was a cool aspect to incorperate into the game, but it's never really explained how you didn't learn to fight from playing as Altier. Just wondering.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2009 8:46:16 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2009 11:07:16 AM PST
I guess I could agree, but they're two very different games. Uncharted is an amazing game, but doesn't influence my opinion of this game. I like the stunning graphics in games, but that shouldn't be what makes one game better than another. My favorite RPG is still "Chrono Trigger," and I don't think the graphics are great by today's standards, but it has a brilliantly story and music. The story is what really draws me into AC series; not to mention being able to stab people in the neck with a concealed blade. It gives me that GTA rush and feels like I'm watching the history channel at the same time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2009 9:58:54 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2009 11:35:45 AM PST
Different people like different things. I love Chrono Trigger for the same reason he does.

By the way. The graphical difference between UC2 and AC2 has a lot to do with the sandbox genre in general. UC2's engine can concentrate on giving you an amazing but linear path to look at whereas AC2 looks worse but gives you more open environments. It's all about what the console can handle rendering.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2009 7:45:12 PM PST
Taylor says:
Please learn how to read properly before insulting people.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2009 10:49:03 AM PST
Please!? Are you serious!? Dude, for most people, the story is THE most important factor in the enjoyment of a game. For me, it's a little bit of the story/premise (this being the biggest deal maker/breaker), music, gameplay, and graphics (this being the least of the four). I've seen gorgeous games that suck in EVERY other category...haven't you!? They're a dime a dozen. And, when I witness such a game, it's a sad thing, because the point of these games (as we call them) is to enjoy the entire presentation and experience; not just the visuals. I find it frakking hilarious that you'd get off playing a game with no plot, no gameplay, no sound/music over a game that is merely average in the "visuals" department, regardless if it's absolutely stellar in all other areas. What are you, like 14 or something?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2009 2:32:39 PM PST
So, you think an absolutely gorgeous visual game that did nothing but look good is at the top of the heap in desirability?

Sounds like a typical member of the 'fluff' society. All looks and no depth. In other words, worthless.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2009 7:22:13 AM PST
Now that we've exausted the topic of graphics vs. gameplay, how did everybody like AC2? I thought that the story that developed and the ending were pretty cool. Still kind of left me hanging like in the first one, but that's how they get you excited for the finale I suppose. It was a more satisifing ending than AC1 though; didn't have to go online to find out if it was really finished. Did anybody else beat the first game, walk around that room looking at the crap on the floor and walls and have to google the game to make sure they were finished? This time it actually ended, a little less confusing I think. Now I have to wait 2 years for AC3, but at least Mass Effect 2 comes out next month, so that will be nice. Just finished replaying the first one to get me ready; made a really evil character this time and made sure to wipe out that F***ing counsel. Those guys really got under my skin

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2010 1:49:12 PM PST
P. Smith says:
As for Desmond learning stuff from Ezio, I think it might because when he was Altair, Altair was already a skilled fighter and killer but Ezio was not so when Ezio would learn something, Desmond would learn it to? I'm not entirely sure but that would be my guess . . .

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2010 4:36:04 PM PST
I guess that makes sense in a way. thanks for the thoughts dude
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›