Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on February 17, 2011
I've been looking for a quality pair of earphones with mic and iPod controls for some time now ever since my in-ear Apple earphones cut off on one side, and it's safe to say that these Ultimate Ears will (hopefully) have me satisfied for a very long time. These earphones surpass the quality of all the models I've used in the recent past: Creative EP-630s (good, but the Ultimate Ears are in another class), Shure SE115-RDs (tones are too artificial and metallic), and even Klipsch S4s (which are similarly priced and are superb but just don't seem to feature audio that's as detailed as the Ultimate Ears).

+Disclaimer: I'm no audio engineer. However, I do know that these earphones feature great sound--the entire range of frequencies from the lowest lows to the highest highs sounds wonderful with utmost clarity. I listen to a wide variety of genres from rock to classical to rap, and nothing has disappointed me so far. The level of detail that I am able to discern in my music thanks to these earphones is amazing--and with these `phones, I WAS actually able to hear elements of songs that I haven't heard previously despite having played them hundreds of times.

+Numerous reviews for the non-mic-and-control version of these earphones complain about their lack of bass. Either Logitech improved the bass for this version, or those reviewers simply weren't wearing their earphones correctly, because the bass ranks among the best I have experienced in any pair of earphones. On a bass-heavy track, the low frequencies simply consume the listener without being overblown or sacrificing clarity.

+The cord is essentially impossible to tangle. I'm someone who stuffs their earphones into their pocket, and after taking them back out, I've had no cord-untying adventures as of yet. The flat design is really cool, and the controls on the right side are conveniently placed and responsive. The piece of plastic containing the actual jack is also bent at 90 degrees, which to me seems to reduce the risk of the cord pulling out the jack.

+Five sizes of ear cushions as well as Comply foam tips means that these will fit for nearly everyone. The foam tips conform to your ears and are great at blocking out noise.

+Cord is a bit long for me (about 4 feet), but I think this would be a pro for many people.

-Grabbing the cord and/or having objects come into contact with the cord can cause a lot of extraneous noise. Usually not a big issue, but the problem is there.

-The included carrying case is an oddly-shaped, cheap-feeling plastic clamshell that I feel will have limited use among most customers.

-My last experience with Ultimate Ears was not great--the earphones had exceptional sound, but one side cut off within a few months. Hoping that it won't happen with these.

After using these for a week and having no problems, I fully recommend these earphones to anyone looking for a well-priced model with great sound reproduction.
0Comment| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?