Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad 'Frasier' still better than good 'According to Jim', December 23, 2005
This review is from: Frasier: Season 7 (DVD)
'Frasier' was unassailably one of the ten best series of all time. But the creaking in its structure that began with season six became an ominous rattling in this year's collection. It was the last season for which I didn't miss a first-run episode and that was very telling to me.

Here is where the writing shortfall began. Much of the characterization devolved into either inconsistency (poor Roz) or self-parody (Niles's out-of-the-blue bug phobia). And the increased poaching of gags and scenes from previous seasons became glaringly obvious. Most series lose much of their steam after three or four years but 'Frasier' maintained superb output through six and that's very commendable.

Then it became 'Three's Company' and ... well, not so commendable. You can call it French farce all you like but it's still lazy writing in the long term.

Still, as I say in my title, this show on a bad day beats ninety-five percent of other sitcoms at their best. I own it, don't I?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 1, 2014 2:08:42 AM PST
I have to disagree with you. This is one of my favorite seasons. To be honest there isn't a season that I'm unhappy with and am buying the entire set. It appears that Netflix is removing this from their lineup, sadly one of the main reasons I keep Netflix as they don't have much to offer in their streaming lineup.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2014 10:42:09 AM PST
J. SHARP says:
I own them all, too. And I watch them on the Hallmark Channel, regardless of which episode is on. But I feel the writing did slip a bit during the final third of the series. Roz sleeping with Bulldog, especially, was reaching too far.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2014 12:51:09 PM PST
Well I guess that's how the world go around, we all think differently and thank goodness we do. How boring would life be if we all thought alike? Compared to most tv shows, in my opinion, a Frasier episode even on it's worst one is a thousand times better than the others on their so-called best ones. Sadly they just don't make intelligent, witty, good tv anymore. Murphy Brown was an all time favorite of mine and I haven't a clue as to why they have never shown reruns and it's hard to find to purchase?

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 10:34:03 PM PST
John D. Muir says:
It's a matter of opinion, of course, but I thought this was the best Frasier season. Far from running out of gas, in this season the writers pushed the envelope with more surreal humor and greater emotional involvement.

Each to his/her own, I guess.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2014 10:41:37 AM PST
J. SHARP says:
I suppose the surreality is what threw me, John. It became a different show altogether when they did that. I love getting emotionally invested in the characters. I just think the characters often weren't true to themselves in the latter seasons.

But as we've all noted (and as my title indicated) bad Frasier is better than good anything else, no?

Julie, I, too, love Murphy Brown. Another well-written show with a great ensemble. I miss it very much. I own the first season. I think it doesn't age quite as well as Frasier but I love it just the same.

Blessings to all!