Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

1,350 of 1,419 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but a warning to the buyer: It may not work at all for you., December 20, 2013
This review is from: PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System, Covers up to 1/2 Acre, for Dogs over 8 lb., Waterproof Receiver with Tone / Static Correction (Misc.)
I was excited to install this product, especially after reading the reviews. We have two large and very energetic dogs, and we wanted to let them play in the yard more often, until we have our property fenced.

Installation of the product couldn't be easier. Simply plug it in, then walk around your property with one of the collars turned on in beep-only mode. This will help you find the boundaries. Adjustment of the boundaries is simple via the boundary adjustment wheel. Once you are satisfied with your boundaries, mark them with the included flags.

Training the dogs was simple, using the included training instructions. After 3 days, my dog was trained.

However, I did notice a "dead" spot in our boundary. The collar simply would not indicate it had left the boundary. Sometimes, after walking a dozen or so yards, it would immediately start to beep and initiate a shock, with no warning. I did not try this with the dog, but it would have been very confusing for the dog to try to find the boundary at this point. Since he would have had no warning, this simply would not do.

I also noticed the boundaries were very inconsistent. Sometimes by a matter of 5' or more. I could not reliably place the flags because the boundaries would differ so much from test to test.

I called PetSafe technical support, after 4 days of tweaking the system and training our dogs. PetSafe them began asking me a series of questions about placement and devices I had in my home. None of this was included in the pre-purchase information, the manual, or any of the technical information on the site.

Here's what it boils down to:

Do not place your transmitter near electronic equipment, including stereo speakers. PetSafe states 3', but when I notified the tech that it was approximately 5' away, the tech stated this may still be an issue. This should be printed in pre-purchase information.

The transmitter may be affected by certain types of WiFi routers. They did not tell me which ones, but this is critical information for a buyer to know. Practically everyone has WiFi in their home these days. Since they are aware of these issues, this should also be printed in pre-purchase information.

Finally, these transmitters are not compatible with wireless security systems, at all. The operate on the same frequency and I was told by the tech that this was likely the source of my problems. This can cause the transmitter to become unreliable, even shocking the animal while they are inside the zone.Essentially, these units are useless to you if you have a wireless security system. This is important information for the buyer to know, and a very common scenario.Since they are aware of these issues, this should also be printed in pre-purchase information.

The product seems decent. Easy to set up, easy to use, and clear training documentation for your animal. However, the lack of pre-purchase and post-purchase support information on product compatibility is very poor, and unacceptable for a product in this price range, especially given the time commitment required to get the system up and running and your pet trained. Because of this, I am only giving two stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 15, 2015, 9:13:11 PM PDT
I've been reviewing these comments your has been extremely helpful.

Petsafe is here in my town, Knoxville TN. They are *NOT* at all forthcoming respecting the frequencies, circuitry, etc of their gizmo's. I might pay them a call and let them see if they can make my Silly Military Reject Mal/Shepherd behave civilized. YEAH RIGHT.... the sad thing is, these electronic devices are a Godsend especially for difficult (smarter and faster than us) dogs... but why are they so poorly designed??? The electronic components to assemble this are about $30. For the mark up, a better and more flexible design with OPEN interaction for owners would be the key....

Posted on Aug 29, 2015, 3:31:32 PM PDT
Technical support was talking you out of realizing their device is no good by blaming on wifi or electronic equipment. It's their way of being sneaky at not giving you money back for a defaulted piece of junk.

Posted on Oct 17, 2015, 7:20:54 AM PDT
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about all the drawbacks that are not mentioned on the product. Guess I will stick to the wire system, although it too has drawbacks. We spend a lot of time searching for and repairing damaged wire and have only been using the system a few months. We thought it would be an inexpensive alternative to traditional fencing, but not sure it is worth all the hassles!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2015, 4:23:42 PM PDT
TJ says:
You're welcome. One major change you can do to your wired system to make it maintenance free is to use PVC electrical conduit for the wire. I have done this, and we have never had a break in the system. The PVC is inexpensive. The hardest part is burying the PVC, but if you have a fenced yard you can simply attach the PVC to the fence.

Posted on Dec 17, 2015, 11:51:30 AM PST
Mark Twain says:
It is a good product, except that it is not a good product. I think you should change the title of your review. I had the same experience as you, but I did not get as far. The receiver activated at wildly different distances, making the product a non-starter from the get-go.

Posted on Mar 2, 2016, 12:18:33 PM PST
M. says:
Does the 90 feet start from where it is plugged in? Is 90 feet the radius or the diameter, or circumference ?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2016, 6:17:30 PM PST
TJ says:
90' is supposedly the radius. I would say that's an absolute best case scenario. You're more likely to get a 90' circumference. Wifi, cell phone, and any other radio devices are likely to affect it's operation and range.

Posted on Apr 26, 2016, 4:26:51 PM PDT
Lisa Carlson says:
I too have had some of the same issues. Not at all what it is cracked up to be because of all the factors that can interrupt proper function of the product.

Posted on Sep 1, 2016, 10:09:24 AM PDT
D2 says:
T.J. Thanks so much for the information. Could you tell me if your security system was SimpliSafe? They said they cannot find a conflict with PetSafe. SimpliSafe supplied the range of their components, 300-400 MHZ and 850-1900 MHZ Base Station while PetSafe says 18.7 KHZ. Our yard is built on stone! Dig a few inches and you strike granite. We aren't sure we can install the in-ground style.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2016, 10:10:41 AM PDT
D2 says:
Posting this again in hopes it comes to your attention, T.J. Not sure if the first post would go directly to your attention.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›