Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

1.0 out of 5 stars Five Fun Stars, but needs a bit of refinement for 200+ price tag (EDIT JULY 2013, IT BROKE & NO RESPONSE FROM MC 4 MY 2yr WARNTY, November 22, 2011
This review is from: Wireless Force Feedback Racing Wheel for XBox 360 (Video Game)
EDIT: JULY 30, 2013. THE UNIT BROKE, MAD CATZ DID NOT MAKE GOOD ON WARRANTY, DID NOT EVEN RESPOND TO MY EMAIL! BUYER BEWARE. ITS OVER FOR ME AND MADCATZ PRODUCTS.

NOVEMBER 5, 2011.
So I got the unit from the madcatz website for 220 because if you order directly from there they have an internet coupon code that gives you 10 percent off, which is awesome because you can have it shipped 2day xpress with the extra cash you save if you want to. Anyways, i am a 33 yr old gamer, and have always stayed away from the madcatz brand since the days during the n64. I bought alot of junk controls from them that forever made me stick with the oem brand of whatever system i owned since then. Needless to say I was extremely skeptical, but I knew I would just return it if I didnt like it so I said what the hell. Well, I think the wheel is worth what you pay for it, and im glad madcatz has finally made a quality product other than their competition fight sticks. It has alot of weight to it, almost all steel, has a nice feel with rubber grips and 270 degrees of rotaion. the included lap supports are very sturdy if you must play this way, and the secure clamp is also very ergonomically designed to secure the unit onto a desk which is probably the optimal way to set it up. The force feedback is extremely present and does a very good job of giving you a virtual sense of where your cars tires lie on the road. The noise the wheel makes is minimal however sometimes slightly noticeable. The pedal set does not feel as well crafted as the wheel, but you will not slip on the rubber grips and they are spaced very well. They provide good resistance although not as authentic as a real auto, but are very easy to get used to and learning the different vehicles in the game really lets you see just how functional they really are. The triptronic shifter really feels authentic and you can even feel the vibrations around the area where the shifter lies when you shift gears. Without a pedal set, the feel would just not be as immersive, and since they are included it just was the more affordable option. Ive been waiting for the black friday deal for 28 bucks on the forza 4 game but meanwhile i cannot put the demo of forza 4 down. It feels fantastic with the wheel and if youve ever played an arcade game that had a racing wheel attached to it like sega's old daytona usa, well, this feels better than that technology. It says on the box that it "works great with forza 4" and they are not understating that one bit. I cannot compare to a fanatec but I had to pass on that because the cheapest compatible set that is in stock available to ship is 300 plus tax n shipping and does not include a shifter or pedals. Im not saying that it's not better, the fanatec looks dope as hell, but for the price this madcatz is doing the trick.
EDIT:
DEC 6th 2011
Black frizzle came and went and i got mii hands on Forza 4 $(27) n I also picked up Midnight Club LA Complete Edition. ($15) My opinion about the wheel hasn't changed one bit. In fact I cannot put either of these games down, especially Forza 4. Every car just changes so dynamically as you feel the simulated power of torque going to the wheels as you downshift and take a corner or even the slight grooves in the pavement that can pull you to either side of the road. It feels pretty phenomenal, for me that is. This is the first time I ever considered purchasing a wheel and thanks to Turn 10 studios for making a game that simulates car driving at a level I have never witnessed or experienced. There may be better simulation racing games for other platforms, i dont know, but for the 360 using the madcatz force feedback wheel along with forza 4 is sure to bring you hours upon hours of enjoyment. (p.s.) midnight club la rocks just as hard but it's definitely an arcade racer. It supports force feedback on this wheel and although it's not utilized as accurately as forza 4, I would still give the force feedback and vibration support a 4.5 out of 5 on this game. Another game I tried out was Baja: Edge of Control which is also compatible with force feedback and vibration. You can feel the both functions in the game but it's not as present as in either forza 4 or midnight club. This game was meant to be played with a wheel and after having played this game with a controller for the past couple of years, i can honestly say i dont know what i was thinking. Anyway, i guess you can tell my enthusiasm. However, for 250 shipped and at my doorstep within 3 days from madcatz gameshark website, you cannot go wrong with this wheel. *You also get a full 2year warranty*
Jan 6th 2012
This wheel is still going strong! Ive had it for about 2 months and Forza 4 is still taking up all of my gaming time. Ive received games like Saints Row 3, Skyrim, Metal Gear Solid HD, n' Darks Souls over the holiday period but have not even ripped open the plastic to try them out (sorry Skyrim!) It's just that the total feeling of Forza 4 is truly outstanding with all the control that you get while playing with the wheel. One thing that has improved is the wheels overall flexibility. When I first began using the wheel it had some quirky stiff points at certain positions but those seem to have now kinked themselves out through use. I play about an average of 2hours when I get a chance, and although it hasn't been daily use, its been quite frequent.
I hope they make an optional set of steel pedals as it would probably enhance the game that much more. Overall still a phenomenal experience and cant wait to see what they can do with the power of the next gen systems for driving simulators. PEACE!
Feb 4, 2012
Almost another month has flown by and Im still pleased as punched with my racing wheel. Ive noticed a few critical negative reviews about this product and decided to lay down more information on my experience. Im still rockin' Forza Motorsport 4 every time I fire up the 360. The wheel is still sturdy, still provides great feedback from the game, and only seems to have "broken in," so to speak. I have learned the pedals "touch" and am now able to use the brake and gas more to my advantage. I recommend using some racing shoes or something with a sticky sole because the rubber padding on the pedals sticks really well to these kinds of shoes and helps with keeping you throttle and braking like a semi-pro. I have also started to use the paddle shifters more often than using the triptronic shifter and the feedback from these shifters feels closely approximated to what I feel on my real life car. Up to now, the game is still garnishing most of my 360 playtime and probably will be until the next best 360 racing game is released. Now time to go burn some mo' RSX rubber
March 26, 2012
Da wheel is still alive n' kickin wings! Turn 10 upped the cap on the car level from 150 to 999 on the recent update and its a good thing because I have been playing the game so much that I have usurped the 150 mark already.
There is just so much content by default in this game because of the amount of cars and how different they all handle. The steering wheel wouldn't mean much if it did not interact with the game the way it does, but fortunately it has done its job and is still providing its dose of awesomeness. Everything still works just as good as the day I plugged it in.
Friday April 27, 2012
I have the 5.1 dolb-digi sound turned up with Aphex Twin's "Richard D. James" album for driving music and the options to focus more on engine sounds enabled. The music goes perfect with Forza and pumps u up if you are into his music or something similar. The wheel is still working awesomely and have been taking turns playing Forza 4, Baja Off Road Challenge, and Midnight club L.A. I must say that the more I play Baja with the wheel, the more I think that they should sell that game with a disclaimer that says "needs force feedback wheel to even have a chance at winning" Its really tough, but its extremely fun especially since you are constantly turning the wheel, downshifting, hitting the e-brake to take a bank, clutching and revving to get a good start, and adjusting the damper on the springs while youre flying off a jump to land perfectly. It's alot of fun. Well, prolly be my last update for a while and will definitely post if anything bad should happen to it. Later.
June 28, 2012
Recently started playing Dirt 3 Complete. The game works really well with the game but Forza 4 still makes best use of the wheel in terms of simulation. After playing Dirt 3 fer a few weeks, I had to switch back to finishing all of the event lists in Forza 4. The game still impresses me especially after being able to buy and drive the most expensive cars. The addition of the Porsche has been really great and prove extremely fun to drive with the wheel. I still agree with my 5 fun factor stars.
September 3, 2012
I am still racking up hours on Forza 4. The wheel is still providing the same experience as when I first started using it. I also started using the "manual w/clutch" option in the Forza game menus to make the driving as simulated as possible. After switching to manual with clutch I finally realized that this unit seriously needs a pedal set with a clutch. I had to map the clutch to the "A" button on the wheel and while it works well to really enhance the simulation experience, it also shows the shortcomings of this wheel's setup.
I recently saw this wheel here on amazon advertised for $179.99 and if you can get it for that price then I feel it's a fair price. If you have to pay more then it might feel like one of those purchases you curse yourself for having to pay premium because there is no one else selling this product for less.
I still agree with my 5 fun factor stars, and if you can find this product in the 180 dollar range you might be able to justify this buy. It's still a solid wheel, and as this year has proved, has provided me with the best racing experience and the most control in game I have ever felt or witnessed. I can only imagine what the FANATEC setup would feel like and if you have extra to spend on the equipment then I would most probably recommend going with the other brand because it has so much more options when it comes to controlling what Forza 4 lets you control in its game.
November 26, 2012.
One word. Forza Horizon. Okay so that's 2 but cmon man, the game deserves it. Cant believe it was $15 on black friday from the devil store himself: microsoftstore.com. The wheel plays as charming as ever although I am getting closer and closer to buying the Fanatec setup cuz its such a bute. Anyways, still gaming with da wheel alot and Horizon works beautifully with it. Just as fantastic as Forza 4! Probably gonna be my final post since its been 1yr with this awesome little wheel, but it has undergone extensive use, been used by ppl other than myself who were really rough with it, and I thankfully have not had any problems with it. My final thoughts are this; If you have the extra cash to spend please do yourself a favor and get the Fanatec. This is not a bad wheel by any means. This wheel is currently on *special* at gamestop online for $179.99 although currently not in stock. [...] At that price point I would recommend taking a shot at it. Otherwise just save up a little bit more and get yourself the Fanatec. As I reflect on the year in review I can see how it can be called a great starter wheel and a great way to greatly enhance the Forza series games or most other great racers on your xbox.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 9, 2012, 6:50:40 PM PST
PCMR says:
Got a snicker out a RSX burning rubber. Must be mad JDM tight with parts overnighted from Japan yo!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2012, 7:39:32 AM PST
obviously

Posted on Apr 11, 2012, 4:30:35 PM PDT
hi. i noticed you have used the wheel with baja edge of control. i was just wondering if you have tried manual gears on the game with the wheel, and if so can you use the correct controls(paddle shifters) to change gear?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012, 8:07:34 AM PDT
KBizz says:
yes! and you can change the controls with baja's in game control mapping functions. the control mapping is necessary as you also need to map the controls you want to manage the springs when you make jumps for dampening. i wasted alot of time using the xbox controller wondering why the game was so boring. this game was definitely meant for a wheel and this wheel works very well with the game in my opinion. Have a good one.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012, 6:14:54 PM PST
Cal Fornia says:
Really enjoyed reading this. I too have gotten into racing in the last year or so. Started with a DFGT and then went to a G27 for GT5 and MCLA. Best gaming decision I've ever made. Decided I wanted a 360 wheel so I gave the G27 to my brother and got the Fanatec CSR. It's a great wheel, but this is a slippery slope. Thinking about getting a proper cockpit now with a buttkicker for tactile. Loving every minute of it, but be careful ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012, 9:25:54 PM PST
KBizz says:
these darn racing simulators bro!, they are ridiculous! sounds like you got a great setup going on and I wish I could spend more money to go all out and get crazy with it. youtube greatest video game chair ever and I dont think id ever leave the house. good times bro

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012, 8:13:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012, 9:53:50 AM PST
Cal Fornia says:
Done and Done! 33 year old myself. Ended up with the CNT Racing Simulator (sold right around the corner from me in Hayward, CA, so I picked it up quite cheap). Got a Basherboard (GTplanet if not sure) and a TH8RS and using my Nixim modded G27 pedals. Oh and the icing on the cake: Two Aura Bass Pro shakers with a Dayton Amp for tactile. The best news is that I don't have to change anything to play Forza 4 OR GT5.

I really can't believe I dove in this far.........but I don't regret it one bit.

P.S. Saw that chair a bit ago......awesome, but I'd definitely get sick.

Posted on Nov 25, 2013, 9:14:22 PM PST
T. Lemelin says:
Wait wait wait. You're 33 and you don't know "a lot" is two words, and you say "black frizzle"? No wonder our country is doomed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2013, 5:29:31 PM PST
KBizz says:
youre telling me?? you replied with the most stupidest comment ever, thats what youre worried about then thats why youre worried about are, i know its our just messing with you, but you need a life and please take your meds. j/k , you need to learn how to chill tho, its all just good fun
‹ Previous 1 Next ›