Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh What have they done to this great Set, October 19, 2010
This review is from: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Three-Disc Ultimate Edition) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
When Warner Bros. introduced this ultimate edition set last year my wife was thrilled. Naturally I ordered them for her as she is a huge Harry Potter fan, and I enjoy the movies as well. When we received the first 2 Ultimate Edition movies we were blow away by both the packaging and the amount of extra content included. For the first time in a long time we felt like we were really getting our money's worth and eagerly awaited the next two movies. Well the day the movies became available for pre-sale I slapped our order in and we anxiously awaited the release. Now a few weeks ago I did a little browsing online and realized that neither of the two Ultimate edition movies releasing this year contained extended editions of the movie, which was one of the main reasons we purchased the set last year. We've owned both the HD-DVD years 1-5 special box set, and then upgraded to the Blu-Ray version(still own these). After discussing it with my wife, she decided she still wanted the Ultimate Edition's this year (3 and 4) so I kept our preorder. Well today we received the products in the mail, and before I get into anything else I have to rant a little bit.

First thing I noticed with this years Ultimate Editions, the boxes are MUCH lower quality than last years. My wife unwrapped year 3 and the way they have it packaged is very flimsy and easy to tear, which she did. They added a holographic cover to both movies this year which looks great, but the way they have it packaged its going to rip and tear if you plan on watching your movies.

Gone is the magnetic snap that clasped the case shut in years 1 and 2.

Both of these "Ultimate" Edition movies seem to be cheapened and lesser in quality not to mention the lack of extended editions of hte movie which is why MOST people purchased them in the first place.

Warner Bros. knew that people were going to buy these, especially those that had already slapped down the money for Years 1 and 2. Late last week I wrote a letter to Warner Bros. asking them why they decided to not include the extra content from the movies that we know exists (it runs on the family channel).

I do NOT suggest picking up Years 3 and 4, even if you already own years 1 and 2. 1 and 2 are totally worth the money, and are great sets even if you own the first two movies because they add to them. These sets add nothing worth the cost, and ruin what could have been an excellent set to own..

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 20, 2010 8:56:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 20, 2010 8:57:51 AM PDT
Rich Clausen says:
Please post the reply from Warner Brothers (if you actually do get a reply!!) ... I, and I am sure countless others, are VERY anxious to hear what their excuse is.... Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2010 10:21:13 AM PDT
can you tell me where to send a letter that I'm writeing to warner brothers..or just give me the studio adress please and thankyou

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2010 11:59:31 AM PDT
Stt says:
Rich,

The minute I get a response I'll be sure to post it up here with the review. I sent the email on 10/15/10 so a response should be here within the next few days(if one is coming). I'm going to attempt an actual letter if I can find an address to send it. Three weeks ago I sent a letter to Disney because when Beauty and the Beast came out they refused to honor a coupon for $10 off the price in one of their stores. It was a Disney manufactured coupon, they actually called me on the phone to apologize and refund $10. I'm guess Warner Bros. is going to do nothing, they seem like that kind of company. Have you seen the rewards site ? You have to buy 25 blu rays before you can get anything remotely good back.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2010 12:00:45 PM PDT
Stt says:
I'd love to haha, I actually browsed the Warner Bros. site and found customer services link. Left them feedback that way, and shot out a copy with an email to them. If that doesn't get a response I'll write an actual letter if I can obtain a valid address, which I haven't as of now.

Posted on Oct 20, 2010 12:42:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2010 12:45:08 PM PST
L.Marie says:
Does anyone remember the advertising in 2009 for the ultimate releases one and two promising a flip side extended movie for movie 1-5?
I do. I think they thought of a way to market the full set when the hallow
dvd's are released..I bet they eventually advertise box sets of the extended versions on all of them. Hmm Special editions,Bluray, Ultimate edition bluray..Premier editions box sets etc...

10/28/2010 EDITIED
THE SORCERERS STONE & CHAMBER OF SECRETS NOW HAVE A EXTENDED MOVIE DVD OUT NOW I GET IT THAT IS WHY NO
EXT VERSION FOR THE 3&4 ULTIMATES I BELIEVE THEY WILL BE RELEASIING THE EXTENDED VERSION SEPARATE...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2010 8:17:08 PM PDT
Rich Clausen says:
I have not seen the rewards site, but I have heard bad things.... Thanks for replying here- Iam really anxious to hear what WB has to say, if anything... This is a cusomer realtions nightmare for them, and they have only themselves to blame-- Shame on them for deceiving us all!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2010 9:35:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2010 9:39:24 PM PDT
MB says:
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/09/18/cool-stuff-harry-potter-ultimate-edition-details-revealed/ starting at about -1.15

Posted on Feb 5, 2011 11:56:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2011 11:57:30 PM PST
CK says:
Gawd, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who was so disappointed in the lesser quality of the packaging of Years 3 & 4. Especially the magnetic snap!!!! Seems like a rather petty thing but to this day, every time I go into the Year 3 or 4 boxes, it's a disappointing reminder of my amazement at why they didn't keep the same elegant packaging as Years 1 & 2. I bot a Blu-ray player recently & gave in to the Blu-ray versions of Years 5 & 6, thinking I might not want to bother waiting for the Ultimate Editions of those years, since the packaging (& who knows what else) might be running out of steam & might not be nearly as rich as the Ultimate Years 1 & 2. We shall see... Thanks for writing what you did, Stt.

P.S. I gather Warner Bros never responded?

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 1:09:01 PM PDT

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 8:17:37 AM PDT
DanAE says:
Thanks for writing this. Very important to know the bad stuf about what you are interested to buy. I'll be waiting the extended box-set Blu Ray for 1-7.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›