Reviewed in the United States on February 23, 2020
I do love to read a book on occasion that gives me a mental workout, and this one certainly had my brain doing calisthenics! The author is clearly well read and a deep thinker. The Heaven and Hell of the title have to do with emotion, and how it can sink us down into depths and lift us up to heights. The author follows a progress of sorts, from boredom to ecstasy. His definition of emotion is somewhat loose, as he characterizes concepts like ambition and lust as emotions. Each emotion’s section as detailed in the book looks at the deep history of the concept, harkening back to the ancient Greeks and other historical writers to give a perspective on the emotion. Fascinating reading! This is a deep and weighty book, especially the introduction (which is particularly technical), so I recommend reading it in small doses so you do not over-fatigue your mind. I fear that could happen quite easily. But, oh, what a journey! If your mind is in need of a little exercise, this book will certainly fill the bill.

I received a free copy of this book, but I also purchased it; my review is affected by neither.
2 people found this helpful