Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars A whole new world..........!, April 25, 2011
This review is from: The New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great (Kindle Edition)
OK, here's the deal for me. In September I realized I needed to lose around 50 pounds. I went for the low-fat, whole grain, portion control approach; and stuck to it pretty well. In more than seven months I lost 17 pounds and was miserable and frustrated the entire time. In less than two weeks on Atkins, I have lost 8 pounds, and have never felt deprived!

I am in a situation where I end up eating out a lot. With my other diet, this just made me feel more frustrated. But on this plan, I feel like I can stick with it anywhere. If I'm in a high end place, it's all about the meat/fish and veggies anyway. And if it's a burger joint, I just skip the bun and the fries! The sodium doesn't seem to be an issue, surprisingly.

For breakfast I have been making 2 egg omlettes with frozen veggies and cheese. Lunch is usually tuna or chicken salad on a bunch of greens/veggies. Dinner is some kind of grilled or broiled meet with asparagus etc. (I throw on some rice pilaf etc. for the rest of the family). I went to Whole Foods today and saw the "prepared foods" section with a whole new eye! I didn't even want to stare at the pizza!

One of the things that appealed to me most was that exercise is not a core part of this plan. I have a permanent disabling injury that prevents me from just about anything (beyond WII!). It was refreshing to not feel stigmatized for that.

And I'm even cheating! Shoot me but I really enjoy a glass of wine when I'm done with my day, (or at least my driving). Generally an hour or so before I eat. I've kept that for my sanity the safety of my family. (It's only 4 to 5 carbs!) So I still have around 20 pounds to go. Which no longer sounds so daunting.

Just losing 8 pounds feels great!

I respect other people's right to choose, and right to write more mainstream diet books. And I hope that they will respect that I feel like I finally caught a break here!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 2, 2012 2:36:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2012 2:37:14 AM PDT
I appreciate you mentioning that you "do" indulge in your wine of an evening. I've been avoiding it myself....afraid that one glass won't be enough, haha! But you've made me rethink this option. Do you notice a change in your appetite or carb craving when you have a glass? That's been my real fear, not the carbs which are low enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 3:06:37 PM PDT
Shannon E C says:
Hi Zandra. Wow, almost a year since I posted this review! I am still a very happy low carber, although I have not strictly followed the Atkins Diet to the letter. To answer your question, having a glass of wine does not seem to affect my appetite. After several months I had virtually no cravings for starchy foods. Hope this helps. Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 4:45:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 4:46:11 PM PST
Ken says:
Hi Shannon! Your original review was dated April 25th 2011. I'm just now starting the low carb plan so I'm curious as to how it's worked out for you. A friend of mine who did Atkins told me "your going to need stool sofeners" kind of scared me. So...do you mind if I ask how you're holding up? THX!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2014 8:56:16 AM PDT
Shari says:
Take Magnesium 400 mg for constipation problems; I take two daily ,or more if needed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2014 9:13:27 AM PDT
Ken says:
Hi Shari! I too started taking Magnesium and Potassium and everything has cleared up. I'm down 45 pounds now. My reply when people question low carb diets: " Do you REALLY think cutting potatoes and biscuits/ bread out of your diet is dangerous??"
‹ Previous 1 Next ›