Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

1.0 out of 5 stars It's great if you're lucky, just ok if you're not, September 23, 2012
This review is from: Apple MacBook Pro MC975LL/A 15.4-Inch Laptop with Retina Display (OLD VERSION) (Personal Computers)
I've had mine for just under two months, and had to have it replaced twice. If you do a quick google for Macbook Pro Retina Image Retention you'll see what I'm talking about. Apparently, Apple uses two manufacturers to supply their displays, Samsung and LG. The Samsung ones are fine, the LG ones show ghosting or image retention (IR) after a month or two of use. Both my first one and the replacement had LGs and the IR problem. They are no longer offering to repair or replace the LGs, stating instead that it's "expected behavior" and "within specs." I'm a huge fan of Apple, but this whole process has left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

Other than the display being sub-par, the computer is fast, light, and all-in-all a nice machine. But the display is the headline feature, and you have a fifty percent chance of getting a good one. I can't stand knowing that someone else paid the same amount of money, but got a superior product.

Update: The truly awful Apple customer service I've had to deal with the past week has prompted me to drop my rating from 3 stars to 1. Until the issues are resolved, this product is not worth it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 16, 2012 10:03:26 PM PDT
J.L.A. says:
Thanks cs2 for your informative review. Is there a way to know, say by serial number if it has a Samsung display or an LG before you buy? Whenever there is a recall, manufacturers know that the units affected are the ones that have a particular digit in the serial number. I'm certain that they track which ones are produced by Samsung versus LG. IR is unacceptable on such an expensive computer.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 11:11:40 AM PDT
cs2 says:
Unfortunately, Apple claims that employees have no way of knowing which displays are in which box prior to their being opened. Once you have the laptop, you can paste the following command in Terminal: ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

If the serial number that appears after you hit enter begins with LSN it is a samsung display, and you can breathe easier. However, if it says LP, then it is LG. I'm on my third rMBP, and it's an LG. I just couldn't go through the hassle of returning it again (I use my computer for work, and I'm self-employed), so I've decided to just live with it. It really only gets bad towards the end of my work day, but it's pretty annoying. Anyway, if you buy one and discover it's an LG, my advice would be to return it within your 14 day "no-questions-asked" return window and try again. Or you could be smart and just wait until Apple works out the bugs.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 4:49:07 PM PDT
J.L.A. says:
Thanks cs2. I have everything backed up on Time Machine and my wife is going to let me partition her 2010 MBP so that I can run Windows so I think I will take heed of your comments and all of the concerns I have read online and just wait for a second edition rMBP. They always seem to get rid of the kinks in second editions. Thanks so much for your help and advice. I appreciate it.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 6:34:13 PM PDT
Vicky says:

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 6:47:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 6:48:15 AM PST
L. Freel says:

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:08:00 PM PST
Sense Wonder says:
Thank you. I will also wait until issues are resolved. My MacBookPro 17" 2009 purchased through Amazon is still running superbly. The issues you and others are facing remind me of the PowerBook trackpad issues when S. Jobs was not at Apple. I returned mine twice then had to complain till advanced to the Apple "issues" dept. at which point the rep said she would assure that a replacement would come directly from Taiwan. Finally no problems after losing over 6 months of work time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 8:10:27 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 9:07:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 9:08:25 AM PST
L. Freel says:

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 5:59:35 PM PST
I have an LG screen and mine has been fine. I was paranoid about this. I've had mine about a month so far and no problems. But if I do have problems I'll be sure to write a review about the issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 6:27:50 PM PST
cs2 says:
Mine started very faint after three weeks or so. It got progressively worse, but seems to have plateaued. Regardless, I'm over trying to have this resolved. I sincerely hope you continue to enjoy a flawless machine. Maybe they've quietly fixed the LGs? Best of luck to you!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›