Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

3.0 out of 5 stars Has it's problems, December 7, 2009
Something that is important to be aware of is that you can't use just any ground coffee in this filter. I have a Kuerig Elite and bought a standard bag of Dunkin Donuts ground coffee and when I first tried to use it, the water going into the cup overflowed and came out of the overflow which essentially watered down the coffee considerably and had water pouring everywhere. I tried it again, this time with a little less coffee in the filter and had the same result. I contacted Kuerig customer support and they replied and told me to make sure I didn't pack the coffee, the filter was clean, and that the grind wasn't too fine because a fine grind would clog the filter. I cleaned the filter very carefully and even stirred the coffee grounds with the end of the spoon to ensure that it wasn't packed. The results were the same. I haven't tried using a different brand but I will. As for now though, the idea is great but I'm not convinced that there isn't a possible design flaw with this. Once I try a different ground coffee I will update further.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 25, 2009, 2:05:37 PM PST
Eugene Graff says:
Here is a little helpful tip. When you buy your coffee buy bean coffee and when you grind it, grind it at the coarses setting you can. A burr grinder works the best at the coarses setting. Hope this helps.

Posted on Jan 1, 2010, 8:31:19 PM PST
Jenn says:
i agree. even the course ground coffee, if not ground /just right/ will overflow. the mesh is just too fine for the way this coffee machine works. i used a french press before i got this one and i think if they made cups with a mesh more similar to those found in french presses, there would be significantly less troubles.

Posted on Jan 6, 2010, 9:16:13 AM PST
This may sound dumb but my girlfriend had the same problem everytime she tried the filters, but I didn't. The difference was she forgot to tighten the lid of the holder for the filter, she just put it in place. Make sure you do this!

I understand that this may not solve your problem...but it is one thing to make sure you do!

Posted on Jan 9, 2010, 7:03:43 AM PST
D. Edmondson says:
I agree - I was excited to hear I could use my own coffee in the Keurig. My first attempt after following all the directions, water leaked all over the place. I tried to use different levels of the grounds in the filter, and different grinding sizes, nothing worked. I'm very dissappointed in this. I will be sending my filter back. Using the K-cups are great but not happy I can't use my own coffee. Waste of money and time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2010, 8:03:05 AM PST
L. Bennett says:
Same, I just tried this today with Dunkin Donuts brand. I do not have the overflow problem but half my coffee is not getting brewed. The last half is simply hot water. the brew process does not saturate all the grounds. I have tried about 10 cups this morning with different ground levels. I am disappointed.

Posted on Jan 17, 2010, 8:11:11 AM PST
The overflow has nothing to do with the grind, it is caused by the rubber gasket on the needle. Open up the lid and remove the filter basket,then look at the needle that delivers the water to the basket. You will see a black rubber gasket near the needle tip. Carefully grab the gasket on both sides and lower it until it is almost to the bottom of the needle (do not remove it completely, it is difficult to put back on). Load up the basket with coffee of any grind size and make a cup. With the gasket repositioned, the needle will seat tightly in the hole at the top of the filter basket and you will have no more leaks. Good luck.

Posted on Jan 29, 2010, 11:47:22 AM PST
bmurf says:
1. Unpack and disassemble My K-Cup. Before the first use, wash it with soapy water, rinse, and dry.
2. Remove the K-Cup Holder Assembly from your Brewer. To do this, first lift the handle of the Brewer, then grasp the outside housing of the K-Cup Holder with one hand while pushing up from below with the other hand. (Printed instructions include diagrams, don't worry!)
3. Fill the Filter Basket of My K-Cup with your favorite coffee. The instructions recommend 2 Tbsp coffee per 6-oz cup, but we often find that Vietnamese coffee is strong and requires less coffee, so experiment to find your preference. Do not try to put more than 2 1/2 TBSP coffee in the filter, as it may overflow.
4. If you are using whole bean coffee, try using a coarser grind like that used for French Press (the ground coffee is already ground properly).
5. Place the Filter Basket in the Holder and screw on the lid.
6. Place into the K-Cup Assembly Housing in your Brewer.
7. Lower the handle and brew as usual.
8. After brewing, lift the handle, remove My K-Cup, discard the spent grounds and rinse all the parts. CAUTION: May be HOT!
9. If you want to use pre-packed K-Cup coffees, you must replace the original Holder Assembly that you removed in step 2, as My K-Cup is only for packing your own coffee and cannot hold pre-packed K-Cup portions or pods.

Posted on Jan 31, 2010, 12:00:33 PM PST
R. Shearer says:
R U sure you are using the full 'filter assembly' and not just the 'filter basket' which goes into the removable grey 'filter assembly?' You can buy the baskets only or the full assembly. One a.m. (before I had my first coffee!) I sleepily used only the 'basket' and had coffee leaking all over the place!
Addendum: I did find that after 1 year the basket becomes 'clogged' and needed order new ones (a pair of baskets) without the holder (grey housing unit).

Posted on Mar 16, 2010, 3:27:32 PM PDT
J. Mahoney says:
I've never had this problem with a new filter. My filters last around 6 months, both my husband and I use them about 4 to 6 times a day between the two of us, that's 180 cups a month for 6 months and when our filter starts to clog or get dirty, we toss it and use a new one. We only have overflow problems if the coffee machine is clogged at the nozzle where the water comes out into the coffee pod. You clean it with a paperclip. With proper maintenance it should stay clean and work great. I've also used coarse coffee but when I buy designer coffee I tell them I have a WIRE or metal basket, not a paper one.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2010, 8:55:14 AM PDT
I did what you instructed and no more overfill!!!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›