Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 5, 2012
A FINAL UPDATE 5/12

I've changed my mind about this printer 3 or 4 times. I bought it for its wireless capabilities, and I've had problems with wireless performance. That said, I've discovered that I can easily fix the recurring problem I've had with the printer disconnecting from my wireless home network. The problem doesn't exist with the printer PER SE. Sometimes, the router resets itself, and when it does, the network number changes. When that happens, the printer doesn't always read it, and when it doesn't, I can't print wirelessly from my phone or my laptop. The first time it happened, I downloaded a troubleshooter from the HP website, which fixed the problem but didn't teach me what the nature of the problem was. The second time it happened, the trouble shooter didn't work, so I called HP support. A marvelous techie (in India, no less, and still marvelous), connected to my system remotely and discovered that I had some conflicting HP software files left over from a previous HP printer. He eliminated that and then led me through the procedure to reconnect. He then told me about the nature of the problem, which was that the printer was failing to read changes in the router's port numbers. While I think that HP could probably work on this - they do, after all, build computers that read the changes, and there shouldn't be an issue with wireless printers - I can now reconnect easily just by going into the HP menu on the Windows task launcher. I ask the printer to print a status report, then type in the current numbers, and it's done. It takes 2 minutes max. The printer is absolutely wonderful in every other way, although I'll reiterate that HP could corner the market completely if they'd cut their ink prices by 25%.

On the advice of an excellent electrical engineer, I have always leaned toward HP printers. My last model, the Office All-in-One 6100, was a maintenance-free workhorse. I would have used it until it tipped up its toes, too, except that upgrading to Windows 7 rendered it a donkey on its haunches. (Thanks, Microsoft.)

Anyway, I had almost decided on a Canon MX882, but when I went to the local gadget store to eyeball it in person, I saw this HP. I didn't like the look of it as much as the sleek Canon, but the wireless capacities of the HP really captured my interest. In addition, the HP offers the option to use extra large ink cartridges resulting in considerable savings, while the Canon will use only the tiniest little 9 ml. versions.(To be fair, one of the Canon's black cartridges is a little bigger, but as fantastic as their print quality is, their printers are famous for being ink guzzlers.)

Back at home, I found the HP on line at a fantastic price ($134.99 on sale at B&H Photo), and a $65.00 savings seemed significant. I ordered the HP, and I haven't been sorry. The set-up on my Windows 7 desktop and Vista laptop were so fast and easy that I thought I was missing something. In less than 30 minutes, I had this printer connected to both my computers, and in another 15 I had it connected to my iPhone - all without a hitch.

The printer's photo quality is way better than I expected, and unlike my last all-in-one, it will print borderless photos. It's very fast for a home printer, and along with the ADF (a must for me), it duplexes! (The print intensity is automatically lowered for duplex mode, which is okay for home use but not the best for professional presentations.)

Unlike other reviewers, I haven't heard any unusual or unpleasant noise from the printer.

Another nice feature is that HP has arranged a deal with eFax that enables the owner of this machine to send or receive 20 fax pages per month at no charge. No land line is required. Nice.

The digital control panel is bright and easy to navigate. It's also articulated to make it easy to read from high or low vantage points. For me, the available apps are superfluous, but I can see that for some users, they'd be fun and convenient. I'm an avid Photoshop and Lightroom user, so I won't be using the the HP photo software often, but I've had a look at it, and it's both user friendly and reasonably versatile.

I'm giving the printer 4 stars only because I'm pretty disgusted with ALL printer manufacturers: they charge exorbitant prices for ink. To replace all four of the 7510's tanks with the extra large cartridges, I'll need to spend just under 80 bucks, which is ridiculous. (Suggested retail prices for the x-large cartridges are 22.99 for the black and 17.99 for each of the three colors.) I don't know about this model, but other modern printers will not allow you to print text documents in black if one of the colored tanks is depleted, which is nothing short of a ruse. I'm seriously thinking of installing a 2nd party continuous ink system, which over the printer's hopefully long lifetime will save a good deal of money. In any case, I'm reserving a 5-star rating for the first good printer that uses affordable ink.

All in all, this machine delivers a big bang for the buck. It's fast, easy to set up, advanced, wireless, produces good quality prints, and even comes packed in a green-conscious big nylon bag rather than plastic. I'd recommend it to anyone who needs a multi-purpose printer.
33 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?