Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on April 7, 2004
I didn't read comic books as a kid and so have no fond memories of how comics ought to be. When I saw the stark cover of Truth -- and from across the room, the intended effect of seeing a flag in red, white, and black really works -- I was compelled into a world outside my comfort zone. The cover says it all: Truth/ Red, White, & Black, confirming what I already knew, because even when we won't admit it, the truth is evident.
I can see why some readers would find the story unsatisfying -- for a time I wished I'd picked up something lighthearted, like Scrooge McDuck. But when I finished reading this tense, compact, and nuanced story about a group of disparate soldiers, whose only common denominator is the color of the skin (the first section develops a cast of characters you can't imagine would ever occupy the same space willingly, and indeed, it takes the military to unite them) I was amazed and grateful for the read.
"Truth" is not for everyone. There's no sugar-coatings about race relations; the enemies are not always the folks you want to root against; the ideas are deep. It's Fiction with a capital F, and like all great works, that kind of original and difficult thinking inspires controversy. Well done, Marvel Comics and Robert Morales and Kyle Baker.
0Comment| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?