Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

5.0 out of 5 stars What is the meaning of life?, May 7, 2012
This review is from: The Grey [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Countless philosophers and religions have tried to answer that by actually giving us a set of commandments, rules or viewpoints to actually give meaning to something we simply do not have a straight answer for. In the end, the meaning of life is the meaning we ourselves give to it.
The Grey is all about this, had the writer director for this move have been a fan of normal Hollywood movies with a lollipops for everybody and a happy endings this probably would never have made, and that would have been such a shame.
The basic premise of the movie is pretty simple; a plane crashes in the middle of Alaska and a group of survivors try to make their way into civilization while being hunted by the local wolves. I could talk about the magnificent photography, the brilliant casting of Liam Neason or the stark beauty of the Alaskan landscape, but instead I will focus on what becomes the central point of this movie; when everything seems to be against you, what is it that truly matters to us, what makes us tick and in the end when everything seems to be done, what comfort do we get out of it?
The answer is as varied as the characters of the movie itself, and in a sense some have that quite moment of reflection take away from them by the circumstances, and some others simply have the moment come upon then after everything else seems to be exhausted.
Rarely have I watched a movie and felt this weight upon me, because we might dodge the issue and try to justify the way we have lived and the things we have done, but it is with movies like these that we feel a creeping feeling that we might have take our time for granted or numbed ourselves in our petty little lives surrounded by our petty little machines and toys...but in the end we face the reality of the meaning of our lives...and we might find it lacking, or surprisingly fulfilling ...
Do not watch this movie looking to pass a few fun hours, try to see is for what it is, a masterpiece of modern cinema that dares to make us come face to face with our deepest demons and the way we deal with them in our everyday lives....

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 19, 2012, 7:26:15 AM PDT
I couldn't agree with your review more! It's great to see that the depth and beauty of this movie did not go unmissed by everyone... I was shocked by all the one star reviews, but I guess a lot of people did not pick up on the deeper meaning of the movie. I also felt it was one of the most moving films I've seen in years, a masterpiece of modern cinema.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012, 11:05:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 2, 2012, 11:19:01 AM PDT
Raul Vito says:
Glad you liked it, as I mentioned on the review this is not a lillipop movie, those guys better go watch Battleship or something more up to their speed, if you liked this you might also enjoy Shame which is such a great film too Regards
Edit check out The Seventh Seal too

Posted on Jul 6, 2012, 6:52:12 PM PDT
desoto says:
With all due respect Carla, you are giving this movie waaaaay to much credit. I am not against cinema trying to tackle philosiphies, religions or what makes people tick, however, The Grey is so incredibaly cliched, vile and unbearably self important. After reading your excellent review its hard to believe that we saw the same film.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012, 12:47:10 PM PDT
Raul Vito says:
To each his own I guess, I believe that most of the people I know would not like the movie because it is not the type of movie thy want to see when they want to escape from everyday life...to eac his own

Posted on Jul 27, 2012, 7:58:30 AM PDT
Kat S says:
"the stark beauty of the Alaskan landscape"

Lol, movie was shot in BC, not Alaska.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012, 10:07:19 PM PDT
Raul Vito says:
I would venture a guess that in your mnd that comment added something to the discussion?

Posted on Sep 12, 2012, 5:56:55 PM PDT
So good to see someone who felt the same way about this movie. I hate seeing people comment and say it was a bad horror movie... they clearly had the wrong mindset. I thought it was gonna be a bad as* movie with Liam Neeson destroying some wolves with his bare hands, but what I got out of it was so much better. I felt such a weight in my chest after watching it. Liam Neeson's character was cast so well and the dynamics of his character and the poem that his father had written was so meaningful to me. Too many movies today are like you said lollipop movies, but this is probably one of my favorite movies to date.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012, 6:57:22 PM PST
NiccoloM says:
Thank God Carla, somebody actually appreciated what a masterpiece this film was. It was one of the best films I have seen in years and so many people seem to have missed the point. They should restrain themselves to mostly mindless action flicks or comedies.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012, 6:58:59 PM PST
NiccoloM says:
Deso, how was this film philosophically cliched?

Posted on Jan 21, 2013, 12:31:20 PM PST
Der111 says:
Fantastic Review. Spot on. A true masterpiece of modern cinema. I am thrilled to see there are truly smart and emotionally deep people who appreciate this work of art.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›