Your Garage Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

2.0 out of 5 stars Not an improved Kinsei 4!, September 22, 2013
This review is from: ASICS Women's GEL-Kinsei 5 Running Shoe (Shoes)
Last year I purchased several pairs of Gel Kinsei 4 running shoes and trained for and then ran in two half marathons and several smaller races. I loved the 4; from the minute I laced them on I ran for miles, and I wrote a sterling review. When it was time for new sneakers, there were no 4s in my size, so without hesitation I purchased the 5. I figured if anything, it would be a slight improvement. I could not be more wrong. I have now run several long (8+) runs, and have yet to get comfortable. Gone is that "floating on a cloud" sensation I had with my old sneakers, and I feel the jarring up my shins. I will NOT be purchasing another pair.

Update: I went to a runner's store in search of the Kinsei 4 and was told that no fewer than 300 people had come in complaining about the 5. They did not have any 4 in stock and recommended that I find them online. After a treadmill test, they suggested the Asic Kayano 20 would fit my needs. After wearing the 20 for a run, I nursed a blister for weeks.

I luckily still have a pair of the Kinsei 4 which I will wear tomorrow in a half marathon. When I went to pick up my packet at a different runner's store, they took a look at my tread on my old 4, and suggested I try the Mizuno Wave Prophecy 2. I tried them on at the store, and, yes, they felt most similar to the Kinsei 4. I immediately went home and purchased them from Amazon - at a price $50 less than the store. (You have to love Amazon!) I have yet to wear the shoes on a run since I have the half tomorrow, but look forward to test driving them next week.

Update 2: I am happy to report that I love the Mizuno Wave Prophecy 2, as they fit and feel like the Asics Kinsei 4. I had no problem with a long run straight out of the box. So, if you are looking for the Kinsei 4, check out this shoe!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 6, 2013, 7:45:15 AM PDT
Texas Five says:
Thank you for your review. I just tried on the Kinsei 4 at a running store but thought I should go for the newer Kinsei 5 even though I liked the 4. When I went to order assuming the same thing you did, that it would be an improved Kinsei 4, I saw your review and realized I should move ahead with caution on this purchase. Have you been able to determine what, if anything, feels different from the beginning? I felt that "floating on a cloud" sensation with the Kinsei 4 in the running store and fell in love - I just decided to shop around for a better price... guess my search continues or I'm just going to get the Kinsei 4 if I can find my size.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2013, 8:59:44 AM PDT
mamalu says:
I went to a runner's store seeking answers. I was told no fewer than 300 people had asked why they changed the 5. The only advice was to try to find the 4 in my size online and stock up. When I was at the store I had a computer and treadmill test. Apparently, I have high arches and overpronate - the Kinsei 4 was the perfect shoe for me. I was told there is no other shoe by any manufacturer that is like the 4....I settled on the Asics Kayano 20 since I had run in the Kayanos prior to the Kinsei. I'm still nursing a blister on my heel, and wish I could find the Kinsei 4 in my size online. If you have any other questions, just let me know. If you liked the 4, go get it before it's gone!

Posted on Jan 11, 2014, 8:22:35 PM PST
sochsner says:
I also loved the 4. Got the 5 and two months later they are tearing by my little toes on both shoes.....very disappointed in the 5. Will check out the mizuno's

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2014, 2:41:36 AM PST
mamalu says:
You will not be disappointed. I am a convert. Let me know!

Posted on Mar 27, 2014, 2:57:12 PM PDT
Mizuno Wave Prophecy did NOT work out for me. Very hard run! Have had 11 pairs of Nike Air Max 2009 and can no longer find. So am trying the Kinsei 5. I hope I like it better than the Mizuno Prophecy and Creation. Will not buy another pair of Mizuno - that's for sure.

Posted on Jun 10, 2014, 6:45:10 PM PDT
Becky says:
You can still get the Kinsei 4 at 6pm.com

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2014, 6:46:30 PM PDT
Becky says:
Kinsei 4 can be found on 6pm.com, I just ordered my first pair of Kinsei 4's.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2014, 3:14:01 AM PDT
Thanks!

Posted on Nov 20, 2015, 12:19:46 PM PST
Beatle Girl says:
So you went to a local retailer that pays taxes and employs people in your community....you tried on their shoes....asked for the assistance and went home and bought them on Amazon?? Really??
‹ Previous 1 Next ›