Lyft Vehicles Review Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc August Greene All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

on May 15, 2012
I'm a pro filmmaker and worked for years in 35mm. I also have a Sony EX-1, which is a pro-level camera with 3 1/2" CMOS sensors.

In a/b comparisons of my EX-1 with the 760V, I have to say that I'm astounded. The color fidelity and depth is almost better on the 760 than my EX-1, and in terms of sharpness and resolution, the 760 is ALMOST the same as the EX-1--and the 760 costs 1/4th that of an EX-1. I did the comparisons on footage burned to blu ray, and shown on a 60" LED LCD Sharp Aquos TV.

I'm very, very fussy about image quality, and I was totally blown away by how GOOD the CX760V is.

I also did a/b comparisons using a CX160, and that camera showed a definitely inferior image quality with the EX-1. So you do get what you pay for!

In terms of the active steadi-shot, it's again nothing short of amazing. I did a 16 minute hand-held take, following my subject in and out of rooms and up and down hallways....and it looks like it was shot using a Steadi-Cam. If you use a still camera flash bracket (about $20 or less) for added stability for hand-holding, your results are even better. And the ability to zoom with such stabilization is great too. Finally, you can zoom to a full 10x zoom--and have things look ALMOST tripod steady. I've shown this camera to other filmmakers I know and they are astounded--and green with envy--when they see how easy it is to get such superb hand-held footage.

I do a lot of multi-camera interview, concert, show, and documentary footage. The CX760 intercuts beautifully with the much more expensive EX-1, so much so that I will be buying a 2nd camera to allow full 3 camera shoots with this great image quality.

I don't feel the camera is heavy at all (if the camera is too light it's IMPOSSIBLE to hand hold, even on wide angle!) and it's also so small and unobtrusive that you can easily get near-broadcast quality footage without being obvious or raising suspicion. I will probably use this camera exclusively for future projects where "getting permission" is nearly impossible. Funny, security will almost never stop somebody using an "amateur" camera, but will instantly stop and demand your ID, etc., if you have something that looks like an EX-1--even if you're on a public street and standing on a public sidewalk! This small camera will be invaluable for such shoots.

I'm totally delighted with this camera. Onboard sound quality is good, and it also has NightShot, which is fun if you want to do ghost-hunting videos or other extremely low-light shooting.

I've posted some test footage on YouTube showing off the Active (Balanced) Steadi-shot in a variety of situations--moving car, walking, panning to stop, zooming in to stop, shaky hand, and auto focus/auto exposure. I've also included some concert footage which intercuts a Sony consumer level older camera, a SR-11, my EX-1 (a pro grade camera) and the CX760v.

It's at [...] and you can also find it by hunting for "Sony CX760v Active Steadi-Cam Tests".
2929 comments| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?