Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Dot Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite Shop now TG18SW_gno

on October 30, 2008
My copy of _The Mother in Me_ arrived this afternoon, and, not being being an angel mother, I plopped down and read it while my older boys ran wild outside and the baby played, nursed, and napped in my arms. I bet my afternoon was better than yours.

Because _The Mother in Me_ is a very good book. It's simply a compilation of essays and poetry from the _Segullah_ women on motherhood, specifically young motherhood. I usually avoid motherhood books because they annoy me. But this one didn't, not at all. Maybe it's because it's written by women who are in my stage of life. Or because these women don't make motherhood angelic or messy or whiney, just real.

I don't think I've ever been reading something about motherhood where I thought "I know exactly what she's talking about." I can often relate, but I've rarely found something where the author has had an experience just like one of my own until this afternoon. The essays here cover such a wide range of emotions and experiences and are so clearly written that I'd imagine many different women might find that perfect match too.

I did have one quibble with the layout though. There were too many words crowded onto a page with the longer poems. Johnna Benson Cornett's "origami birds," for example, felt right, but her "no time" was packed onto one page and it was difficult to read.

Anyway, this is all to say that this little book covers a huge range of experiences. It's by women who are there, right now, with little children. They don't blame, they don't give advice. It's simply a celebration of motherhood and the women who make it possible, despite everything that might make it seem impossible.
What's this?